HomeWizard Energy (Wi-Fi P1 meter, kWh meter, Energy Socket and Water Meter)

Hi @devdems,

Let me first respond to your opinion about our helpdesk. I personally do not agree and I think they do a great job. Maybe you tried to contact them when it was busy so you had not the best experience, let’s see if they can fix that for you. Please PM me your e-mail you have used to contact support and I can see if I can give your ticket some more attention.

1. This is the first time ever I hear about this behaviour and that should not happen. Could you share some information about your situation:
  • What is the current firmware of your P1 Meter?
  • What is the brand/model of your Wi-Fi access point/router?
  • Do you have configured anything special in your network, like a firewall or adblocker?
  • Any other details that may help?
    → Feel free to PM this to me, I will not support you via PM but you can keep things a bit more private, you can also send a message to HomeWizard support and refer back to this conversation.
  1. What kind of data do you wish to see? I think 99.99% of the users are happy with the provided sensors, but we can see if we can add some more.

Recently HomeWizard announced to add a Home Battery to their productline. The use of this product also relies on the P1 Meter.

I am wondering is it already known what kind of measurements the API shows to display this in the dashboarding of HomeAssistant.

Same here, but what bothers me about this battery is that you need an internet connection.
If for some reason, Homewizard stops their servers, you end up with an expensive paperweight, and it also opens the door to forcing people to take a paying subscription, and away goes your return on investment.
So will the battery be usable without internet connection, and able to be controlled via an API via Home Assistant ?

Not all details are final, but we will expect at least these sensors to be available:

• import/export energy
  • power, voltage, current, frequency
  • state of charge
  • mode (idle, charge, discharge, etc.)

We might also add some extra sensors from internal measurements, such as cell temperature. However, we have not decided on that yet.

Regarding your concern, @mbbs1024, we often receive comments like these, and I fully agree that cloud-only products are not future-proof from a user perspective. That’s why we have added a local API and made it possible to completely disable any communication to the cloud on most of our products. The battery will be no different:

• The battery will be controlled locally by the P1 Meter, without cloud, out of the box.
  • For now, the battery’s local API is read-only. We are evaluating how we can ensure the battery can be controlled safely, especially when more than one is used. We must comply with the max 800-watt output requirement, which we can’t enforce if users can control multiple batteries independently. We have some ideas, but we still need to work them out. I can’t make any promises about how and when this will be added.

So will the battery be usable without an internet connection and able to be controlled via an API through Home Assistant?

Short answer: Not in the first release, but we are working on making this possible through a (free) over-the-air update. Again, no promises.

[…] opens the door to forcing people to take a paying subscription, […]

I will quit when HomeWizard starts doing that.

@DCSBL you may like this: I am replacing my trusty P1 cable with a Homewizard P1 meter in preparation of a Homewizard thuisbatterij. Now, how to get the P1 telegrams from the Homewizard P1 meter into DSMR Reader? See How to get Homewizard P1 meter telegrams into DSMR Reader using automations

Cool idea, but just out of curiosity; Why don’t you use the native HomeWizard integration?

I have been using DSMR Reader for a long time to store my P1 readings. I want to continue using DSMR Reader to store the Homewizard P1 meter readings.

Question: instead of polling the Homewizard P1 meter for a telegram, is there a way that the P1 meter pushes the telegram to an endpoint? It would be very cool that the P1 meter calls an endpoint every time a new telegram is available.

1 Like

Ah DSMR reader that thing outside Home Assistant. I was confused with the DSMR integration.

is there a way that the P1 meter pushes the telegram to an endpoint?

No. You have to poll the API.

DSMR Slimme Meter - Home Assistant requires a USB cable between the Home Assistant computer and the smart meter, or serial to network proxies. A USB cable is not easy when your computer is not in the “meterkast” and serial to network proxies must be self built. With the Homewizard P1 meter I can connect with TCP/IP, which is much easier for me to maintain and I do not need to buy additional hardware / maintain Raspberry Pis

Hello
I just received solar panels today so and i was happy to know that it works home assistant.
But i am confused i see 2 different meters.
One for solar panels and the other for stedin net.
I put it in stedin one.
Mine questions are.

1. Wich one should i better put p1 meter homewizard
  2. Which one these shows how much solar has been charged today
  3. And how much is used today solarcharge.

I added some picture maybe for better understanding and showing wich one is wich.

It seems you got a smart meter for your main connection and a seperate one for your solar panels. Connect the P1 Meter the Stedin smart meter as this measures what you are billed for. For extra insights it should be possible to add a second P1 Meter to the other smart meter. Maybe that will give some nice graphs!

I found a weird behaviour with most of my HW sensors in HA (running on a RPI 4).

Regularly, and apparently every time there are loss of connection (wifi reboot e.g.), some sensors in HA report outliers data in the Energy dashboard. It happens with connected sockets (there are 12 of them) and the water sensor.

It requires to go the Development - Statistics and correct them manually (had to do it for 4 of them today).

Has anyone any idea if this is an integration bug I need to report or something in my own configuration ? Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I just got my HomeWizard P1 meter and working on the HA integration.

I see two devices in the integration: the P1 meter and the water meter. There is no trace of the gas meter. The gas meter is visible in the HomeWizard app and I can also find it in the diagnotic info in HA:

"total_gas_m3": 1264.821,
        "gas_timestamp": "2024-07-21T12:14:41",
        "gas_unique_id": "**REDACTED**",
        "active_liter_lpm": null,
        "total_liter_m3": null,
        "external_devices": {
          "\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000\u0000": {
            "unique_id": "**REDACTED**",
            "meter_type": {
              "__type": "<enum 'DeviceType'>",
              "repr": "<DeviceType.WATER_METER: 7>"
            },
            "value": 45.545,
            "unit": "m3",
            "timestamp": "2024-07-21T12:15:00"

So there’s a device type of water meter but no device type of gas meter. But it does seem to send the total_gas_m3 in the diagnotics json (the value is correct) but there’s no HA sensor value matching with this.

How do I get HA to see the gas meter?

Which Home Assistant version are you using?

HA version 2024.5.4

Update to the latest version, then please try again. This should be have been fixed since 2024.6

Indeed it is fixed. Silly me thinking my version was still current enough :grinning:

It looks like this integration will be very useful.

Up :slight_smile:
(this concerns Homeward sockets. Occurs at every wifi AP reboot, some of the plug records show outliers in the Energy dashboard)