Homme assistant Yellow Installation issue

The partition table appears to have several problems - hence the suggestion from Linux to use the Parted tool to fix them.

That may well work, but I’ve wiped at least the start of the SSD completely and started from scratch in similar situations. Deleting partitions is like erasing writing on lined paper - the lines are still there.

DBAN, GNU Parted tool, or simple fdisk are all alternatives to this process.

If you’re comfortable with the Linux command line, (RPi or even a live distro booted from a USB drive), then the process can be quick. The hard part is ensuring you wipe the CORRECT DEVICE and not the host machine! You want to wipe the whole device (e.g. /dev/name) not just one partition (e.g. /dev/name1, /dev/name2… ).

If this seems complex - it is. Stop now, before you break something. :mage:t2:

Monitor the logs to check which is the SSD device, then zero the start of the storage:

$ sudo journalctl -f
# insert the SSD, check the device name
# you should umount the partitions, but this sometimes removes the device completely
# N.B. get this wrong, and the command will WIPE your disk - be very careful
# you have checked you backups have off-line, off-site backups?
$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<SSD DEVICE> bs=4096 1024

Thanks for your advices.

I wiped the device with dd (very long time …), then flashed again with yellow installer : same behaviour. Impossible to boot with the NVME installed on the board and also imposible to boot with the NVME SSD in the USB Dock. (used as an USB stick ).

After that, I made several tries :

With Raspberry Pi Imager :

• I Installed directly HAOS 9.2 on the SSD : No Boot !
  • I installed the « yellow installer » on the SSD : The boot was successufull
  • I installed directly Raspberry PI OS Lite on the SSD : The boot was successufull
  • I installed directly HAOS 9.2 on a normal USB stick (not the SSD) : No boot !

For the moment my conclusion is that the current HAOS image provided by the Raspberry PI imager and by the yellow installer is not good and unbootable !

But in this case i would not be alone to have problems …

One thing is sure. The partitions installed by the Imager using HAOS or OS Lite are very differents, compared with the command « parted » :
HAOS image

Modèle: CT250P2S SD8 (scsi)
Disque /dev/sde : 250GB
Taille des secteurs (logiques/physiques): 512B/512B
Table de partitions : gpt
Drapeaux de disque : pmbr_boot

Numéro  Début   Fin     Taille  Système de fichiers  Nom               Fanions
 1      1049kB  34,6MB  33,6MB  fat16                hassos-boot       msftres
 2      34,6MB  59,8MB  25,2MB                       hassos-kernel0
 3      59,8MB  328MB   268MB                        hassos-system0
 4      328MB   353MB   25,2MB                       hassos-kernel1
 5      353MB   622MB   268MB                        hassos-system1
 6      622MB   630MB   8389kB                       hassos-bootstate
 7      630MB   731MB   101MB   ext4                 hassos-overlay
 8      731MB   2073MB  1342MB  ext4                 hassos-data

OS LITE image

Modèle: CT250P2S SD8 (scsi)
Disque /dev/sdd : 250GB
Taille des secteurs (logiques/physiques): 512B/512B
Table de partitions : msdos
Drapeaux de disque : 

Numéro  Début   Fin    Taille  Type     Système de fichiers  Fanions
 1      4194kB  273MB  268MB   primary  fat32                lba
 2      273MB   250GB  250GB   primary  ext4

As mentioned I experience the same issue and spend hours trying to find a cause. I hope the people of Nabu Casa will jump in.

1 Like

When you say HAOS, what image do you mean? The reason I ask is there is a specific image, separate from the RasPi images for Yellow. No idea what differences there are, but I assume that is the image that the Yellow installer is pulling. See all the images here: Releases · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub

Yes it was not a good image for yellow.

I began a discussion on the discord on this issue with people of nabu casa.
I learned that you can install the yellow installer on the nvme.

You can boot the Installer from NVMe, it will run in memory, and overwrite itself with the correct HAOS image for Yellow.

In my case the yellow installer boots on the nvme ans install well an HAOS image.
But the installed image cannot be booted …

The issue is still open.

1 Like

Confused - this is a CM4 Lite (no eMMC) and a NVMe SSD which has been zeroed with dd, and the install still failed!

That only leaves the CM4 Lite firmware or HASSOS (which probably has had more testing on CM4 with 2Gb of eMMC - part of the kit).

Can you boot with RPi OS on USB? This includes a firmware update tool (can’t remember if it is fpwupd?) for CM4, but this is clutching at straws unless there’s hardware troubles with the SSD (odd incompatibility?).

The first partition list looks very similar to my CM4 2Gb eMMC layout - boot, 2x kernel, data. Moving the datadisk changes hassos-data-old, and moves hassos-data.

Not sure what the second partition list is - fat32 is sometimes used for boot, but one large unlabeled ext4 is odd. Was that a wierdly resized install image perhaps?

An interesting post mentions the wrong image disabled USB ports for power saving - as my Yellow was the kit, it was pre-installed, so not seen this personally.

Try a different install image? :man_shrugging:t2:

This isn’t probably only HA Yellow issue, but wider issue with (native?) nvme-devices and HA and to me, it has all the same symptoms I’m seeing with different nvme equipped carrier board with CM4.

I’m using Waveshare cm4-io-base-a, which is quite similar in specs to Yellow, especially its nvme part. My CM4 is 4Gb/16Gb version. Original installation with HASSOS 7.6 went ok, I actually first installed Raspbian into eMMC and used imager to install HASSOS in nvme, made some changes into config.txt (boot order and bt+wifi disable). HASSOS 7.6 booted ok, and IIRC every upgrade until HASSOS 8.0. worked properly.

After upgrade to HASSOS 8.0, no NVME boot, removing and emptying SSD and damn circus with restoring backup. It was probably HASSOS 8.2 that once again had working nvme, until HASSOS 9.0 was released. I wasn’t very surprised when it once again stopped booting, all the same remove-install-restore as with 8.0.

There’s seems to be quality control issue with nvme+CM4 combination. Every major version ending to zero (8.0, 9.0) stops working with nvme. When we get upgrde to something like x.1 or x.2, it may start working. But clearly, there’s clear pattern on broken nvme support! And it seems to have nothing to do with nvme drive itself, since it gets fixed after HASSOS update. Raspbian has absolutely no issues in writing image to nvme-disk.

1 Like

It would be interesting if people who successfully NVME boot HAOS 9.2 on yellow with an NVME indicate which SSD is used and what type of CM4 (lite or not).

I now have a new SSD: SAMSUNG 980. It boots and I installed HAOS without any problems on my CM4 lite. I am very happy.
I’ve spent a lot of time with my Crucial P2 CT250P2SSD8, and I’ve wasted a few people’s time too. However, this lost time is not lost for future users who now know that there is currently a risk of incompatibility with the Crucial P2.
Thank you very much to everyone who helped me with this problem and gradually led me to suspect a problem with this SSD.

2 Likes

IMO, if user has to change standard working SSD to another brand/model SSD is bad solution. It works today, how about after next update? After all, Samsung, SKHynix, Crucial etc. are all supposed to be standard compliant nvme-drives. It’s PITA, if you can’t trust updates will work, or if update requires manual installation, at worst case, using separate computer.

Had same problem. Looking at switch, saw that pi-cm4 was listed on that port. I’d reused an WD 750 SE Black that I’d been doing some testing with and that was my issue. ssh’d to that IP address (fortunately login was pi/raspberry still) and then did a “sudo su” then I simply ran “parted” and “print all” to find the partition numbers, then “rm 1” and “rm 2” Ignoring the warnings. Then pulled the power plug, put the USB with the install files in, and plugged it and the Ethernet back in, and it did the install properly.

Was getting worried after reading through this thread, glad it was simple as deleting the NVME partitions.

1 Like

Home assistant yellow POE + CM4 Lite Tried all of the above.

Cloned a USB drive with all the boot partitions to the NVMe which seemed to work?
The leds no longer stayed on Red / Green sadly after a few minutes the result was the same.

Tried rpiboot , no avail

Was using a PNY CS1030 250GB,Ordered Samsung 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S500BW waiting to arrive.

They should really ship these devices with a list of guaranteed working NVMe drives!
All of this wasted time could have been avoided.

Please adjust your NVMe support page

• "Yellow has an M.2 M-Key connector which technically supports any NVMe SSD "

Enforce people to buy the working ones instead!

1 Like

I have a Yellow POE + CM4 Lite. Used a Samsung 960 PRO NVMe, installed and worked no issues. However, I didn’t want to use such a large and expensive drive on my yellow. Purchased a “TeamGroup” 256GB NVMe. HASSOS installer worked fine, system rebooted and no web page. Connected to USB console, and in supervisor logs, get " Home Assistant has crashed!". Tried to do a supervisor repair and re-install of the Core, and no good. Always get’s a crash message. Other then that, system boots, no errors on DMESG or kernel logs. Ordered a Crucial P3 to try, if that doesn’t work, will go to another Samsung EVO drive.

UPDATE: The Crucial P3 500GB NVMe works fine as well as the Samsung 960 PRO 1TB NVMe

Do not purchase the “Teamgroup MP33 NVMe” 256GB – at $19 it would have been a steal if it worked!

I cannot seem to find any common demonator between these SSD’s to determine what works, or what doesn’t.

2 Likes

hi all,

hope someone can help, I’m trying to setup a HA yellow with a CM4 2Gb LITE, and a EVO 970 plus 1Tb,
but al I get a is a blinking yellow LED, It gets a IP, and I can ping the ip, the SSD in brand new and untouched, if i remove the SSD from yellow and install it in a NVME case I can see it on my mac and it has no partitions etc.

Whats going on ??

Thanks
Andrew

I had the opisite to what issue you seem to have it took me 9 months to figure some how to reset due to no yellow light at all.

Then had to make a image file which again is not stright forward to do I ended up with guessing! Adn once flashed managed to get it to load up. But im still not sure if mine is working yet as its taken over a hour to do a restore from my previose Home Assistant.

So Im not goign to be no help to you on this! At moment!

thanks, I got it sussed, it was down to the yellow defaulting to IPv6 and not IPv4, my yellow had an ip6 address but no dns, and thus it was just sitting there, I had to setup on a router that did not have any IPv6 support at all.

I’ve just managed to get transfered over to the Yellow, but needing help now on why Im not getting no notifications sent from sensors, and also a Bluetooth issues so not clues on whats up any help be great!

Sounds a complex fix glad you figured it out, I might have the same issues as no notifications being sent and no bluetooth,. though I have no clue where bluetooth is coming from? will it be from the Yellow to the router or to mobile?

try disabling g IPv6 in the network setting in HA, If your CM4 module has bluetooth, it will search for any bluetooth client and try to add it to HA, it could be anything.

I figured it was because I had forgot to transfer the Sonoff Dongle from the Raspberry Pi 3b to the Yellow and also the Bluetooth one too. As soon as I did this all up and working!

The backups also I think only take arond 5 mins and there is a re fresh bug so the user does not know when its restored your backups!

So I left it over night come back to it and it was still backing up , so tuened it off and back on and it had restored.

But with me thinking it had missed things I did another fresh backup to make sure.

All up and running now! No IPv6 issues on looking in the network setting In HA I have them both set to Automatic.

1 Like