Honeywell 39358 - Unable to control with Google Assistant or Alexa

Hello everyone!

I’ve been doing well moving GE and Inovelli Z-wave switches over from SmartThings to HA and also adding them to Alexa and Google Assistant (linked from HA), but I’m having one heck of a time with Honeywell 39358 switches. I have three of these switches controlling ceiling fans, and with SmartThings I never had an issue getting them to work with Alexa and Google Assistant. For some reason though when I paired them with Home Assistant and then tried controlling these fan switches via Google Assistant or Alexa, I’m not able to. The fans show up in Google Home and Alexa, but they have no options for instance to turn them off/on or adjust speed.

From the Home Assistant UI I can control them by turning them off/on and even set the speed of low/medium/high, but I just can’t get them to work properly in Google Assistant or Alexa app. Any ideas on what I’m missing here? I’ve googled this topic and I’m not finding much. I’ve rebooted the Home Assistant hub I’m using (Intel NUC running Hassio), and I’ve synced HA with HA Cloud service. I’m kind of stuck.

The entity ID shows as: fan.honeywell_unknown_type_4944_id_3131_level

Thank you much in advance.

Here’s the switch information:
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2725

And here’s a snippet from my zwcfg* file:

<Node id=“5” name="" location="" basic=“4” generic=“17” specific=“8” roletype=“5” devicetype=“1024” nodetyp

Shaun

So they work in Home Assistant? Have you tried an input_boolean triggering an automation to turn them on and off? Input_boolean’s def work with Google Assistant

Hello,

Yes, they work in Home Assistant. I can turn them off/on using either the toggle buttons on the main overview page, or, go over to the dev tools section and use the fan.turn_on/fan.turn_off service and the work with no issues.

If I go into the Alexa app and list all of the devices, these fan switches are given a generic Z-wave icon and categorized as “other”. Within the Google Home app it shows the icon as a fan, and when I touch it I just get basic information such as the name, and then tells me the manufacturer is set to nothing. It knows the device type is fan, but that’s about it.

Now, when I look at another fan switch I have, which is a GE, that icon looks like a switch, and the device type is a switch.

I’m almost thinking the device type is being presented wrong. Technically these are all switches, but the Honeywell switches are coming across as fans.

Create an input_boolean like this:

# Binary Switch Alarm & Garage Door
input_boolean:
  alarmgaragedoor:
    name: Alarm arm/disarm and Garage door shut/open

Then create an automation like this:

- id: 'closegaragesetalarm'
  alias: Close Garage and Set Alarm
  trigger:
  - entity_id: input_boolean.alarmgaragedoor
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  action:
  - service: switch.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: switch.sonoff51083
  - delay: '00:00:10'
    data:
      entity_id: switch.sonoff63719
- id: 'deactivatealarmopengarage'
  alias: Deactivate Alarm and Open Garage
  trigger:
  - entity_id: input_boolean.alarmgaragedoor
    to: 'off'
  action:
    data:
      entity_id: switch.sonoff63719
    data:
      entity_id: switch.sonoff51083

Then expose to Google

# Google Assistant
project_id: !secret ga_project
api_key: !secret api-ga
exposed_domains:
  - input_boolean
entity_config:
  input_boolean.alarmgaragedoor:
    room: house

That will work. The input boolean is the trigger for the automation which turns the fan on or off…
(Note my switches pulse on for 2 seconds and then turn off again… your second automation would be a turn-off one)

Thank you very much. I’m going to give this a shot tonight. That whole work thing is in my way currently to test this.

I appreciate the response!

I’m working through it, so far this is what I have:

core-ssh:/config# cat automations.yaml

input_boolean:
master_bedroom_ceiling_fan:
name: Master Bedroom Fan - Turn off or on fan

automation:

• id: ‘turnonmasterceilingfan’
    alias: Turn on Master Ceiling Fan
    trigger:
    • entity_id: input_boolean.master_bedroom_ceiling_fan
      to: ‘on’
      action:
    • service: switch.turn_on
      data:
      entity_id: zwave.honeywell_unknown_type_4944_id_3131
  • id: ‘turnoffmasterceilingfan’
    alias: Turn off Master Ceiling Fan
    trigger:
    • entity_id: input_boolean.master_bedroom_ceiling_fan
      to: ‘off’
      action:
    • service: switch.turn_off
      data:
      entity_id: zwave.honeywell_unknown_type_4944_id_3131

Hello David,

After looking through this, it appears I need to setup an API to Home Assistant Cloud, is that correct? I apologize ahead of time, this is the first time I’ve setup, and not looking to have you do this for me…just looking for some direction.

There’s 2 ways to integrate Google Assistant - one is a manual integration and the other is by using Home Assistant Cloud (costs $5USD/month for a subscription via nabu casa)
I though you already had Home Assistant working with Google and just needed to add this component?

Also, please format your code when you post code blocks. Instructions at the top of every page in the forum.

Yes, I do have the Home Assistant Cloud service for $5 a month. I’m reading through it now to figure out how to integrate it. I’ll be sure to format my code properly. Thank you for the heads up on that one.

ok the input boolean goes in configuration.yaml
follow the docs to include the google assistant configuration for cloud and add the automation to automations.yaml file

Thank you. Everything is integrated, and I’m setup with the google assistant service as I stated I was before. However, I’m still lost on one piece. In your example you have:

project_id: !secret ga_project
api_key: !secret api-ga

I’m curious where you pulled that information from. I think that’s where I’m stuck. I’m reading about Google Assistant here: Google Assistant - Home Assistant

But I’m really only seeing how to set it up manually, which you had mentioned, but since I have Home Assistant Cloud I don’t need to do that. I have a feeling I’m making this much harder than it needs to be.

That’s correct… I have mine setup manually not through cloud.

The cloud settings/info are here:
https://www.nabucasa.com/config/google_assistant/

My google settings above are in the cloud settings on your setup.

So you’d have this…

cloud:
  google_actions:
    filter:
      include_domains:
        - input_boolean
    entity_config:
      input_boolean.alarmgaragedoor:
        room: house

following my example above. Note I have my google actions in a seperate file but the above here would be in configuration.yaml.

If you already have stuff exposed via cloud, just use the above as a pattern…

Basically you need to create the input_boolean in configuration.yaml
create the automations for when you switch the input_boolean on and off in automations.yaml
include the google actions configuration in config yaml

If it was me, I’d create the input_boolean and the automation and restart home assistant, add the input_boolean to a card in lovelace and switch it on and off to make sure that it is working. Then add to google actions and you’ll be golden.

Thank you once again. I’m getting closet. They are showing up under “Automations”, but when I toggle it they don’t do anything. I’m going to keep troubleshooting. I’m sure I can take it from here. Thank you very much!

So if you turn the input_boolean on or off and the automation doesn’t trigger that means that the trigger is wrong…

Yep, agreed. Last night I did check it in the developer tools area, and I noticed I had to switch it to “fun.turn_on”, and I could call the service against “fan.honeywell_unknown_type_4944_id_3131_level” and it would work.

So, I then checked my automation again which looks like this (not sure why blockquote isn’t working):

• id: ‘turnonmasterceilingfan’
    trigger:
    • entity_id: input_boolean.masterbedroomceilingfan
      to: ‘on’
      action:
    • service: fan.turn_on
      data:
      entity_id: fan.honeywell_unknown_type_4944_id_3131_level
  • id: ‘turnoffmasterceilingfan’
    trigger:
    • entity_id: input_boolean.masterbedroomceilingfan
      to: ‘off’
      action:
    • service: fan.turn_off
      data:

is the automation actually on?

Under the ~ in top left of keyboard… there is a back tick. To post code, put 3 of those on a line by themselves and put in code
then another 3 backticks on a line by itself = code block.

It’s not an inverted comma…
(view unused entities in lovelace and you will see if the automation is switched on or not…)

- id: 'turnonmasterceilingfan'
  trigger:
  - entity_id: input_boolean.masterbedroomceilingfan
    to: 'on'
  action:
  - service: fan.turn_on
    data:
- id: 'turnoffmasterceilingfan'
  trigger:
  - entity_id: input_boolean.masterbedroomceilingfan
    to: 'off'
  action:
  - service: fan.turn_off
    data:

Awesome, thank you for the backtick tip!

I’ll check if it’s on nor not.

That was it. You’re awesome. Thank you! Much appreciated, sir.

Also, I appreciate your patience. I actually work in Red Hat Tower/Ansible all day, but I’m pretty green to Home Assistant. I watch a lot of videos on it, but until a person actually starts doing different things with it, there’s still a bit of a learning curve to “get it.” I’m loving Home Assistant so far. I like the challenge.

1 Like