Honeywell 5800 series 345Mhz door and window sensor integration with HA

Would this only work with Honeywell 345mhz devices? Or can it work with other 345mhz devices (like vivint’s stuff)?

If you look at the GitHub page, it shows all compatible sensors.it doesn’t look like Vivint is there but you can probably check who supplies vivint their sensors. https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433

total newb question, if i am running HA on a Pi that i would like to connect an RTL SDR, how do i install the RTL_433 add on? Ive been going in circles for weeks, any help will be greatly appriciated

To be honest, I’m not sure. If you can ssh into the pi and it uses Linux then you can probably use the command line and install it. Im pretty sure hassio doesn’t use Linux so I’m not sure…

I am able to ssh to the pi but I don’t get to the @raspberrypi command. I get to the command in the pic below. Any idea what I type in?

Over here you can type login to get into the pi but I’m not sure how to get packages after that… All I know that this is the root of the pi and not the ha command line

Hello,thank you for sharing. This was a great manual and I was able to get it up and running on an old Pi zero W pretty quick!

However, I seem to only be able to pick up the healthcheck alerts of some of the sensor around the house. It doesn’t respond to a door or window being opened - even though the Honeywell Lynch Touch 52xx announces when the door / window opens.

The sensors that came with the house are the 5815 on the doors and 5816 on the Windows. Looking at the RTL_433 honeywell.c code - it looks like the code was tested with 5811 sensors.

All doors and windows are programmed on “Loop 2”. Do you know if the code responds to Loop 2?
Has anyone been able to get it to work with 5816 or 5815 sensors?

Thank you for your help!

After analyzing the data a bit more, it looks like the sensor signal is picked up for some of the sensors but not for others. I’m not sure why that can be. I see that RTL_433 has a debug feature that writes each message to a file. I’ll see if I can figure out the differences.

I also noticed that the state is always reported as open, but that I should parse out the reed_open sensor (0 for closed, 1 for open) - which is the magnetic switch reported on loop 2.

A few more observations that might be helpful for anyone else who is looking to implement this solution:
I’m getting more accurate results with the sample rate set to 1000K.
I also removed the antenna from the RTL receiver. Don’t ask me why, but it appears that the signal cannot be processed when it’s too strong, or when the transmitter is too close to the receiver
As a bonus, this also helps reduce noise from the neighbors who have similar alarm systems in their home :slight_smile:

Hi @tube0013 - thanks for this. I just installed my Verilock door sensor and have caught the codes with rtl_433. Two questions for you: 1) It seems like the data for door unlock and door closed is the same:

Lock:

{“time” : “2021-03-26 03:12:13”, “model” : “Honeywell-Security”, “id” : 425786, “channel” : 8, “event” : 0, “state” : “closed”, “alarm” : 0, “tamper” : 0, “battery_ok” : 1, “heartbeat” : 0}

Unlock:

{“time” : “2021-03-26 03:17:10”, “model” : “Honeywell-Security”, “id” : 425786, “channel” : 8, “event” : 32, “state” : “closed”, “alarm” : 2, “tamper” : 0, “battery_ok” : 1, “heartbeat” : 0}

Close:

{“time” : “2021-03-26 03:13:47”, “model” : “Honeywell-Security”, “id” : 425786, “channel” : 8, “event” : 32, “state” : “closed”, “alarm” : 2, “tamper” : 0, “battery_ok” : 1, “heartbeat” : 0}

Open:

{“time” : “2021-03-26 03:13:13”, “model” : “Honeywell-Security”, “id” : 425786, “channel” : 8, “event” : 160, “state” : “open”, “alarm” : 10, “tamper” : 0, “battery_ok” : 1, “heartbeat” : 0}

Is that what you see on yours?

Other question is that every action (open, close, lock, unlock) seems to generate multiple records (at least 6-8 per event when I scan with the rtl_433 command). Does that get consolidated somewhere? I haven’t gotten to the mqtt steps yet…

Thanks!

I have some binary sensors now, for this, they key off the event field in the json for the lock state, which is 32 when unlocked and 0 when locked.

binary_sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    state_topic: "rtl4332mqtt/Honeywell-Security/516203"
    name: "Sliding Door"
    value_template: '{{value_json.state}}'
    payload_off: "closed"
    payload_on: "open"
    device_class: door
    state_topic: "rtl4332mqtt/Honeywell-Security/516203"
    name: "Sliding Door Lock"
    value_template: '{{value_json.event}}'
    payload_off: "0"
    payload_on: "32"
    device_class: lock
1 Like

Thanks @tube0013! I’ll definitely use the binary sensor instead.

Still curious about Door Closed as that sends event 32 as well. Is that the same for you? Wouldn’t that trigger Door Locked given that it’s all the same ID?

I ignore the event code for the open/closed sensor it keys off the state field in the json.

Locked is closed/event 0

Unlocked but closed is closed/event 32

Open and unlocked open/event 160

Door can’t be locked and open so that’s why the event code is different for that. At least that’s how I read it.

1 Like

Got it! Makes sense. I will check it out. Thanks again for the help and the quick answers!!

@tube0013 - just finished the project and everything works perfectly. Thanks once again for your help.

1 Like

I ended up adding 3 more attributes based on the data available in the payload. Note for heartbeat, the Verilock sensor sends a message after 72 minutes of inactivity.

state_topic: "homeassistant/sensor/honeywell/Honeywell-Security/425786"
    name: "East Door Status"
    value_template: "{% if value_json.heartbeat in [0,1] %}1{%endif%}"
    payload_on: "1"
    force_update: true
    expire_after: 4500
    device_class: connectivity
    unique_id: "east_deck_hb"

name: "East Door Battery"
    value_template: '{{value_json.battery_ok}}'
    payload_off: "1"
    payload_on: "0"
    device_class: battery
    unique_id: "east_deck_b"

name: "East Door Tamper"
    value_template: '{{value_json.tamper}}'
    payload_off: "0"
    payload_on: "1"
    device_class: safety
    unique_id: "east_deck_t"    
1 Like

Slightly off topic - Was very interested to find people using the Andersen Verilock sensors here. I haven’t been able to find much in terms of reviews. I really like the idea of the sensor for the door lock as well as opened/closed. I’d like to use it with rtl_433.

For those using Verilock sensors:

• Are you happy with them?
  • How well have they worked in practice?
  • Are they worth the cost?

Thanks for your advice,

@rct - I ordered one at first to see if the value was there and it was. I am running automations in node red that consider the state of the door and it’s been great. Examples include direction of movement, canceling light timers if the door is locked, etc…

I’ve since bought two more for my other french doors. Super easy to install btw.

1 Like

@blando - thanks for the very helpful information. So are you doing rtl_433 → MQTT → node_red?

Do you also have an alarm system that uses these sensors, or are you just using it with your HA system? Any problems with the sensors “going to sleep” if they don’t consider the system armed? (This was alluded to by some other posters).

Could you elaborate on how you are getting direction of movement?

One thing I’d like to figure out how to monitor is whether the passive side of the double doors is locked or not. (Andersen calls these the hinged patio doors). Sometimes someone who doesn’t know which is the active (primary) door, tries the handle on the passive side and leaves it unlocked. They of course don’t know to pull up on the handle to re-secure it. The latch by itself isn’t strong enough to keep both doors secured in a strong wind.

I’m guessing the Verilock can only tell me the state of the active door and whether the “deadbolt” part of the lock is locked or not. In other words I don’t think it can tell whether the multi-point lock is secured.