Honeywell 5800PIR-RES Motion Sensor Access

I have Honeywell 5800PIR-RES Motion Sensors throughout my house, connected to a Vista-20P through Honeywell keypads. I know that there is a chance I could configure this system to work with Home Assistant using Alarm Decoder modules, but I was wondering if there was a way to access these sensors more directly to use them for home automation.

I would like to use them to help manage lighting and temperature in my house. My wife has earned the nickname “Tinkerbell” because she leaves a trail of light behind her (she never turns off lights when she leaves a room). So as an example, I would like to setup my motion sensors to recognize when someone is not in the room and configure an automation to turn off lights.

I’ve read that these sensors operate in the 345MHz range, so I assume a special receiver would be needed.

Has anyone accomplished this, or is what I’m doing more nuts than just integrating my Vista-20P into my Home Assistant program through Alarm Decoder?

I’m working on exactly the same thing… I already purchased a RTL-SDR compatible USB Dongle (it uses a Realtek Rtl2832u chipset) and I managed to pull the info out of the sensors using this project as a base: https://github.com/jhaines0/HoneywellSecurity/

Currently I’m just relying on said repo as an example only and I’m diggin into how to send this info to Home Assistant… Looks promising, but it’s a work in progress.

Sorry for the Necro on this thread, but I recently turned down my ADT Alarm system and converted all of my physical sensors to a couple Konnected Alarm Panel Pros. However, the various wireless sensors I have (Smoke/Fire, PIR, and Garage Door) of course all died on the wall without a compatible hub.

Curious if you’ve made any additional progress on this over the last year? I’m checking out the project you linked, but wondering if you were successful in leveraging them in HA, or if I should just replace them all with Hue motion sensors.

Yeah, I did. I took a different route because I ended up wiring a custom circuit board to the Alarm Panel and reading the status from there via EspHome. This is similar to Alarm Decode, but far more cheaper and customizable. This is the repo in case you’re intrested: https://github.com/Dilbert66/esphome-vistaECP

But then I got a couple DSC-Security motion and door sensors from my dad’s house, so I needed to revisit this solution. I found a Home Assistant add on which is incredible difficult to find, but it basically does what you need: Rattler 433

This plugin allows you to set a whitelist of devices you want to integrate into home assistant. For the sensors I got (DSC-Security) I created my whitelist and it’s working perfectly.

The only issue I think you might face is that these Honeywell sensors don’t operate on the default 433Mhz frequency (they use 345Mhz)… I know for a fact that rtl_433 (which is the software the addon relies on) can listen this frequency, but you need to specify the frequency via parameters and I haven’t done that with Rattler 433. If you manage to tell Rattler to use a different frequency when starting rtl433 I think you will be done.

You should give it a go!