Honeywell CH/DHW via RF - evohome, sundial, hometronics, chronotherm

Hi, I’m currently using the Evohome standard integration but it seems the RF version will give me much greater control. I have an Intergas Boiler, a Honeywell Opentherm bridge and Evohome limited to 8 zones as that’s it maximum so some rooms have has to be grouped which I understand this version will enable extending zones.
What I would like to understand is what hardware I require to allow me to achieve this. I see a reference to a HG180 or an alternative USB device (what do they connect to). Any advice for someone with limited skills but able to follow instructions greatly appreciated.
Thanks

There is a bug in v0.2.4 - Zone temps don’t update - I have fixed this & will push it out shortly.

This functionality is coming - think next year (sorry, there is too much to do).

See here for some instructions: GitHub - zxdavb/ramses_cc: HA integration for CH/DHW and HVAC systems that use the RAMSES II RF protocol

three restarts have sorted it I think, no more erros getting logged.

Thank-you

Thanks for that information I had seen that and indeed I do have the bridge already. How I access it I have no idea (it was installed by engineer) I understood it linked into Evohome for future use). Should I see it exposed somewhere in HA (I have no idea if it’s path or ID which if you add the Opentherm through integration in HA are required) so I guess the question is how would I know if it’s activated/available.
Also I believe I then need one of these https://www.ebay.de/itm/372221622516
My next question is how does this physically connect?
Apologies I’m sure my questions are pretty basic but hope you can assist.
Cheers

So v0.2.5 has just been pushed - this fixed a few bugs.

Please don’t ask for help unless you’ve first tried it on 0.2.5+ as versions prior to 0.2.4 were unreliable.

I am aware DHW temps are missing.

I’ve just tried to reinstall everything since I hadn’t tried any of the new versions yet. I removed my old evohome_rf configuration and folder and just cloned evohome_cc into the custom components folder and added the config to my config file but it appears to not have gotten it’s dependencies. Do I have to install evohome_rf manually now? I seem to recall I didn’t have to previously and that it was actually quite easy, but my old config had evohome_rf in it rather than evohome_cc… Did this change? Now when I check my config, it tells me

Component error: evohome_cc - Integration 'evohome_cc' not found.

But I can promise you the folder is sitting there in the custom components directory:

scstraus@narnia:~/hassio/homeassistant/custom_components$ ls 
alexa_media       dreamscreen       home_connect         reolink_dev         variable
apple_airport.py  evohome_cc        ical                 sensor
browser_mod       fully_kiosk       iphonedetect         smartthinq
device_tracker    hacs              lovelace-popup-card  smartthinq_sensors
display           here_travel_time  __pycache__          Untitled
scstraus@narnia:~/hassio/homeassistant/custom_components$ cd evohome_cc/
scstraus@narnia:~/hassio/homeassistant/custom_components/evohome_cc$ ls
binary_sensor.py  const.py     LICENSE        __pycache__  sensor.py
climate.py        __init__.py  manifest.json  README.md    water_heater.py
scstraus@narnia:~/hassio/homeassistant/custom_components/evohome_cc$ 

Here’s the log snippet:

Logger: homeassistant.loader
Source: custom_components/evohome_cc/__init__.py:10
First occurred: 11:08:23 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 11:08:23 PM
Error loading custom_components.evohome_cc. Make sure all dependencies are installed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 516, in _load_file
    module = importlib.import_module(path)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 783, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/config/custom_components/evohome_cc/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>
    import evohome
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'evohome'

Same issue - for some reason HA is not downloading the latest library… I can’t see why…

FYI, everything is now v0.3.0 and the evohome_rf library is now

import evohome_rf

and not

import evohome

Tried cloning it again just now, but it still won’t pass config check even after a restart.

Can you do the equivalent of:

pip install evohome_rf

It’s not quite so clear under supervised install. Homeassistant supervised doesn’t want you installing any additional packages on the host machine. I guess I could try to install it inside the homeassistant container, but I’m pretty sure this shouldn’t be needed. The install was quite straightforward last time. Don’t you think it’s possible to fix it? I’d prefer to wait for that.

I just pulled latest and in manifest.jason:

"requirements": [
    "evohome-rf==0.3.0", "pyserial-asyncio==0.4"

Component doesnt start though, dependency errors.
So I tried to install latest evohom_rf in homeassistant continer and it tries to install 0.3.1 which errors:

bash-5.0# pip install evohome_rf
Collecting evohome_rf
  Using cached evohome-rf-0.3.1.tar.gz (64 kB)
    ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
     command: /usr/local/bin/python -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'/tmp/pip-install-ydckf26f/evohome-rf/setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'/tmp/pip-install-ydckf26f/evohome-rf/setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' egg_info --egg-base /tmp/pip-pip-egg-info-lzwxj_5c
         cwd: /tmp/pip-install-ydckf26f/evohome-rf/
    Complete output (5 lines):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/tmp/pip-install-ydckf26f/evohome-rf/setup.py", line 21, in <module>
        install_requires=list(val.strip() for val in open("requirements.txt")),
    FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'requirements.txt'
    ----------------------------------------
ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: python setup.py egg_info Check the logs for full command output.

repeated and forced with “pip install evohome_rf==0.3.0” which installed without error.
no errors in homeassistant.log all seems to be operatng fine.

1 Like

Okay I might try that. Does anyone know what the best practice is for addon dependencies as regards VENV in the homeassistant container in a supervised/hass.io install? I believe everything is installed in VENV in there, but I’m not sure what the “correct” VENV would be to put this in, and I’m not much of a python expert unfortunately.

Look at the manifest.json:

So you would want to:

pip install evohome_rf==0.3.0

This is caused by me fiddling, trying to get the automatic install of the library working…

OK, 0.3.4 just pushed - lots of small fixes

Sorry for the difficulties with this project - over 7.500 lines of code in the library alone…

I still can’t work out why the library isn’t being installed automatically…

2 Likes

Hi David!

The device in your link looks to be the same as the one I use.
You just connect it to the machine you run HomeAssistant on by USB. Advice is to use a cable so it’s not immediately beside the machine. I had issues initially but found that my cable was too long (I’d used a USB extension cable as well!).

You will need to flash the USB dongle which is very easy and then add teh custom component.
Check the “Hardware” link in HASS that the device is found and you should start seeing data and new devices.

That’s wonderful and thanks so much for taking the time and patience to explain.
With regard to attaching the dongle to the machine (in my case a NUC running Proxmox) it is quite a way from my boiler but presumably given its 868mhz RF it should be ok?

I’m also running in proxmox on a NUC!
I tried to keep my USB dongle as close to my touch screen controler as I know that it can see all the other components from there, i has to be able to see (well, hear!) them all to be effective, not just your boiler.

In proxmox you’ll need to add hardware and select the USB device to expose to the guest machine:

Really appreciate the advice - I’ll purchase the dongle now I know.
Thanks

Hi, I am trying to get this to run on HassIo on a RaspberryPi4 installed via the raspberryPi Hassio image, which is using Docker.
I copied the evohome_cc folder from Github to the custom_components folder and added the following into configuration.yaml:
evohome_cc:
scan_interval: 60
serial_port: /dev/ttyUSB1
packet_log: /config/packet.log
schema:
controller: 01:999999
I also ran: pip3 install evohome_rf==0.3.0 from the Execute Shell Command the file editor:
Command executed: pip3 install evohome_rf==0.3.0: 0
Collecting evohome_rf==0.3.0
Downloading https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/54/44/d8b16d6ed258a36f24acdd4f24c97393ac652c9d4a4adf5603e3f7e2a8aa/evohome-rf-0.3.0.tar.gz (64kB)
Installing collected packages: evohome-rf
Running setup.py install for evohome-rf: started
Running setup.py install for evohome-rf: finished with status ‘done’
Successfully installed evohome-rf-0.3.0
Unfortunately I can’t restart Hassio now as I getting a configuration error: Component error: evohome_cc - Integration ‘evohome_cc’ not found.
When rebooting the complete raspberryPi I get the following in the log file:
2020-10-07 14:27:11 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Error loading custom_components.evohome_cc. Make sure all dependencies are installed
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py”, line 516, in _load_file
module = importlib.import_module(path)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/importlib/init.py”, line 127, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “”, line 1014, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 991, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File “”, line 671, in _load_unlocked
File “”, line 783, in exec_module
File “”, line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
File “/config/custom_components/evohome_cc/init.py”, line 10, in
import evohome_rf
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘evohome_rf’
So I downloaded the evohome-rf-0.3.0.tar.gz from the location mentioned above and extracted the files and copied these into a evohome_rf folder in custom_components. But with exactly the same results as above.
Can you please let me know where the evohome_rf directory should be copied to?