Honeywell CH/DHW via RF - evohome, sundial, hometronics, chronotherm

I moved the configuration to other machine - does not matter about the reason…
Now I see some notification/error:
cc

What I have wrong?
The files are the latest version from ‘github.com’…
I have such files:

And .yaml settings:

# Evohome
evohome_rf:
  serial_port: /dev/ttyUSB0
  packet_log: /home/config/packets.log

logger:
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.evohome_rf: debug
    evohome: debug

@dariusz Sorry, I don’t use hass.io and I am a bit short of time presently. I was hoping someone else on this thread may offer you some help.

OK thanks to @Captain , I’ve added Opentherm to the latest parser library - new custom_component will come out after Feb 6th (I have an exam then).

BTW, I would love log files with 0418 packets in them (of verb I or RP, but not RQ):

cat packets.log | grep ' 0418 ' | grep -v RQ

Hi New Member
Was trying to find how to communicate with David Bonnes and apologise if this is the wrong place for this.
found an excellent article on how to setup for windows but I am on an IMac can you give me any pointers.

Windows :-
https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?4696-Beginners-guide-to-graphing-Evohome-temperatures-using-python-and-plot-ly

Those of you using nanCUL devices (instead of HGI80s) - there is a new arduino firmware at the fifo-hang branch of:https://github.com/ghoti57/evofw2/tree/fifo-hang

Note this firmware is read-only (it does not send RQ packets - this shouldn’t matter.

It seems to have a lot less decoding errors. :slight_smile:

BTW, I would still love log files with 0418 packets in them (of verb I or RP, but not RQ):

cat packets.log | grep ' 0418 ' | grep -v RQ

Hi David,

I want to test and help too, but can I just use a hgi80 or other z-wave kind module for raspberry pi without the evotouch? My question is can I turn on and off the heater directly (opentherm protocol) using the hgi80 or raspberry pi module, my heater (intergas hreco) is at the moment wireless connected to the evotouch which is again wireless connected to the honeywell rfg100 gateway, I want to get rid of the evotouch and rfg100 gateway and want to manage my heater/radiators locally.

Best Regards,
Donald.

It is not z-wave (although it used the same frequency, 868MHz).

You cannot (yet) ditch your controller - this functionality may be around for next Winter.

Presently, the code is limited to a bunch of sensors (e.g. temp for each thermostat/TRV, not just for each zone, Window state/Valve position of each TRV, Call for heat state, etc.).

Currently, I am just asking for people to install/run the code in HA and support the project by contributing packet logs.

There is a new version that includes OpenTherm sensors. It will lay the foundation for disconnecting your system from the Internet (but you will still need the controller) - the long term plan is to be able to ditch the controller (but not this Winter).

Maybe I am missing something but I thought that after the steps below I would get Evohome related entities, so maybe I can get help solve this.

I have Hassio installed on a Raspberry Pi and a Honeywell HGI 80 connected to one of the USB ports.

Installation done by git clone https://github.com/zxdavb/evohome_cc evohome_rf

In configuration.yaml I made the enties:
evohome_rf:
serial_port: /dev/ttyUSB0
packet_log: /home/packets.log

After a restart of home assistant I get packet structure invalid messages.
afbeelding

Thank you in advance.

well all evidence is that you set up the custom component correctly.

If I had to to guess I’d say the radio is picking up transmission from another ecosystem - do you have some sort of smart electricity meter?

Regardless, those packets are invalid so the library is doing exactly what I supposed to do. in a future version I will take away these warning messages.

Some entities should have appeared in HA.

Do you have any valid packets in your packets.log file?

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply, I have a smart electricity meter so that can be the case.
I don’t have a packets.log file yet, do I need to create that manualy?
Knipsel

Regardless of the USB port I setup in the configuration.yaml it always defaults to USB0

Is this because the Honeywell HGI80 isn’t visable or must it be connected to USB0?

No, a known bug.

I will update the repo with a fix in an hour or so.

It seems that the hgi80 isn’t installed correct in hass.io, with dmesg | grep usb I found the errors below.

[ 14.216167] ti_usb_3410_5052 1-1.4:1.0: TI USB 3410 1 port adapter converter detected
[ 14.216335] usb 1-1.4: Direct firmware load for ti_usb-v10ac-p0102.fw failed with error -2
[ 14.216408] usb 1-1.4: Direct firmware load for ti_3410.fw failed with error -2
[ 14.216437] usb 1-1.4: ti_download_firmware - firmware not found

I found the ti_3410.fw firmware file but how do I install this in Hass.io??

I have fixed the bug in the custom component, you’ll have to fetch/pull the change from the repo:

dbonnes@vm-builder:~/.homeassistant/custom_components/evohome_rf$ git diff
diff --git a/__init__.py b/__init__.py
index c58b473..fc5ac49 100644
--- a/__init__.py
+++ b/__init__.py
@@ -55,7 +55,7 @@ async def async_setup(hass: HomeAssistantType, hass_config: ConfigType) -> bool:

try:
         client = evohome.Gateway(
-            serial_port=hass_config[DOMAIN]["serial_port"],
+            port_name=hass_config[DOMAIN]["serial_port"],
             output_file=hass_config[DOMAIN]["packet_log"],
             loop=hass.loop
         )

I get:

dbonnes@vm-builder:~/.homeassistant/custom_components/evohome_rf$ dmesg | grep ti_usb -A2
[    4.724656] usbcore: registered new interface driver ti_usb_3410_5052
[    4.724668] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for TI USB 3410 1 port adapter
[    4.724678] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for TI USB 5052 2 port adapter
[    4.724696] ti_usb_3410_5052 3-2:1.0: TI USB 3410 1 port adapter converter detected
[    4.740683] ti_usb_3410_5052 3-2:2.0: TI USB 3410 1 port adapter converter detected
[    4.740775] usb 3-2: TI USB 3410 1 port adapter converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[    4.787070] AVX version of gcm_enc/dec engaged.

Maybe this will help:

Thank you for your help, I think I have to wait for HassOS 3.9 because then the driver is included.

Your wait is over, download from here:

1 Like

Please feel free to delete this message.

I am an Ex Honeywell EvoHome user (My Home was physically to large/hostile for this to function with no mesh), and as a result i have some bits in the store room that might be of value - this includes 1 Controller with Wall Mount, Boiler Control, Hot Water Sensor and of course a HGI80. I would be happy to package these up as a single set if someone is in the market - all the kit is as new, (I think i have the boxes). PM me a realistic offer, I’ll post/ship anywhere.

-Damian

I used this on Domitiz and you do need the evotouch as its the brains of the network. The HGI80 basically allows you to send and recieve the communications between the TRVs, and controllers - so you do not need to integrate with the cloud services; Therefore everything can work offline. This turned out to be a very reliable solution. I kept the HGI80 within a meter of the Controller, that way i could also see what communications issues i had due to RF distances - sadly in my case - far to many and had to give up on this technology.

Curious to know what (if anything) you replace evohome with ?