Honeywell CH/DHW via RF - evohome, sundial, hometronics, chronotherm

Can this also work with Hometronic Manager ‘HCM200D’?
As basically ‘HGI80’ was developed for ‘HCM200D’…
I’m asking because I have HCM200D based system working perfectly since many years.
The only ‘minus’ - no way to integrate it with other systems (no info in Internet).

hcm200d%20hgi80

@dariusz I think your chances are fairly good, I’ve already picked up traffic that suggests the HGI80 is compatible with the Residential Network Protocol.

Easiest thing to do is download & run it! You’d have to connect the HGI80 directly to a system running python, but if it was needed for other purposes, there’s no reason why you couldn’t have two HGI80s, the second used by HA.

This has got to do with convergence within HA - it is an issue with all polled systems. It is just that the convergence is greater for cloud-based systems, and thus more noticeable. Switching to b) would make this period of time very small, and to c) would eliminate convergence.

1 Like

Well, I do not have yet HGI80, as I could not get answer/confirmation from local ‘Honeywell’ that it will work with ‘HCM200D’.
However I’ll consider to buy one (price ~150EUR) and give a try/test…

Easiest thing to do is download & run it! You’d have to connect the HGI80 directly to a system running python, but if it was needed for other purposes, there’s no reason why you couldn’t have two HGI80s, the second used by HA.

Oh, I thought you were saying you’ve got one!

Maybe you could consider an RFbee (or similar) instead - it will be cheaper, and offer more functionality (but is possibly less compatible). see here:
https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?5085-My-HGI80-equivalent-Domoticz-setup-without-HGI80

Or maybe someone could loan you a HGI80?

The above forum is the best place to ask about Hometronic too.

1 Like

The evohome integration shows a shaded are for each zone’s heat demand (upper graphs) - TBH, this is a bit of an educated guess. evhome_rf does it accurately (lower graphs):

Note the temps in the upper graphs are the room (zone) temps, no the TRV (device) temps.

This one compares a room with a thermostat, to one without:

In the left graph, the 34: device is a round thermostat in the zone, and the room temp overlays it 100% - the 01: device is a TRV.

In the right graph, the thermostat is in the same room, but is not part of the zone, so the zone temp is coming from the TRV.

Sorry, but for some reason, target temps are not graphing properly, so aren’t included.

@zxdavb Ok trying to spin this up with an HGI80 connected to a PiZero.

Using the following on the PiZero to give me an RFC2217 Serial server

https://pyserial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples.html#single-port-tcp-ip-serial-bridge-rfc-2217

Then use the following config for HA

evohome_rf:
  port: rfc2217://10.0.10.125:8989

But that’s as far as I’ve got.

@GadgetUK I think the best thing (to get RFC2217 going) is to concentrate on getting the client library working first, then go from there, something like:

git clone https://github.com/zxdavb/evohome_rf 
cd evohome_rf

python3 -m venv venv
source venv/bin/activate

python client.py -p rfc2217://10.0.10.125:8989

Note this is the client library, not the custom component.

If you need to, you can chat with me at:

Otherwise:

• did you enable logging in HA, and
  • what do the logs show?
grep ~/.homeassistant/home-assistant.log | grep evohome

Many lines of the following in the logs…

2019-12-03 21:59:52 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.evohome_rf] Status = None

That is a message from the custom component - not from the client. You need to really run the client by itself, until we get this serial-over-net working.

OK, here is proof that the shaded are in the evohome climate cards is inaccurate.

The upper card is evohome, the lower card is evohome_rf. Note the red ‘arrow’ pointing to a time where the zone is clearly receiving heat.

1 Like

Wow, was planning on doing this exact same thing on the short term. Great to see someone is working on this already.

Will buy a HGI80 and test the integration soon.

Please continue, I’m also going to join.
Now busy with other topics…

So I think I’m about at the point where I’m ready to give this a shot… I’m running hass.io and would prefer not to install anything directly on the OS for my hass.io machine, but keep the machine “docker only” to ensure pristine-ness ;-). Would it be possible to run evohome_rf remotely? Is it a server or just a library? If not, where would I install it, within the homeassistant docker container?

Just be aware:

• HGI80s will be the most expensive option - but they will be the most compatible/reliable
  • other options will be cheaper and can also be used for neat tricks like emulating a TRV (or even a controller) - see the ‘or similar’ in the top post

I have a HGI80, but I have ordered one of these (not yet arrived):

1 Like

Currently, evohome_rf is a custom component (it will be mainlined at some distant point in time). It uses the evhome client library (below), which itself uses pyserial-asyncio:

I have a fear that the async version of pyserial doesn’t work with RFC2217!

@GadgetUK DId you get my message about RFC2217?

Yes, trying to decide what the best way to move forward is.