Hourly email alerts once a threshold has been exceeded in an automation?

Good afternoon all!

I’ve got an automation setup to monitor the temperature within our server room and if the heat exceeds 30 degrees then it’ll send an email alert to whoever is assigned to the particular group within the call service.

The issue is, from what I can tell the alert only fires once as soon as the temperature exceeds 30 degrees and it won’t send an alert until the temperature dips below this and then it’ll only send another alert as soon as the threshold is met again. The issue this is giving us is that, if the temperature is still exceeding 30 degrees several hours/days later then we’ve got no further alert prompts to let us know.

Is there a way the automation can be amended to send email alerts every hour or so that the temperature has exceeded the threshold? please see attached images if it helps.

Many thanks,
Paul

I have a similar use case. A buzzer beeps as long as I did not take my coffee from the machine :smiley:

The below is an automation in yaml, I hope it’s easy for you to translate into a UI config if this is what you prefer.

automation:
  - alias: Regel SenseoWifi Erinnerungston bei voller Tasse
    mode: single
    trigger:
      platform: state
      entity_id: binary_sensor.senseowifi_cup_full
      to: "on"
    action:
      - delay:
          minutes: 3
      - repeat:
          while:
            - condition: state
              entity_id: binary_sensor.senseowifi_cup_full
              state: "on"
          sequence:
            - service: ... # notify
            - delay:
                minutes: 1

No notification if I take the cup within 3min, then a notification each minute until the cup is gone. Should be easy to adapt for your use case. Hope this helps

Take a look at the Alert integration

Alerts are a little more complicated to set up than a basic automation, but they were designed for this type of situation where you need repeating notifications. Since your triggering criteria is numeric you will need to set up a template binary sensor

1 Like