How are you running HA Supervised alongside other services (sonarr/radarr etc) on your raspberry pi?

I am currently running Dietpi on a Raspberry Pi 4, with HA installed via DietPi’s own method (python environment) which I believe is HA Core.

DietPi is great, and in an ideal world I would keep this as the base OS as it’s super lightweight and allows me to install many services on the one physical hardware. However, not having HA Supervised with add-ons etc is proving to be a royal pain when trying to install my Zigbee and Z-Wave controllers, my thermostat via homekit etc. I have tried so many work-arounds but it’s just not easy to get everything setup and discovered, and it’s souring my initial smart home experience!

Obviously the best way to run this would be HA OS, but I want to run other services on the raspberry pi such as sonarr/radarr/pihole/smb sharing/plex/transmission/resiliosync etc.

How are ya’ll out there accomplishing this??

HAOS is not an option unless these can all be run as add-ons:

A Supervised Install requires you to have the hardware dedicated to HA with no other services or software, so it is not a solution.

Using a Container install could be a viable solution however you would have to manage your own containers for these:

And you would have to manage your own OS updates.

A Core install is similar to a container install but without the HA container. It’s up to you if you run the other programs in containers or as bare metal programs.

HAOS in a virtual machine could be an option if the hardware can support virtualisation.

Buy another Pi. They multiply like rabbits at my house…

I am using a raspberry pi 4, isn’t virtualization basically the same as containers, so you could run HAOS in a docker container? My understanding of containers may not be accurate.

Otherwise, is anyone aware of how to install the following two usb controllers on HA Core without using add-ons?

• Sonoff Zigbee 3.0
  • Zooz ZST39 LR 800

Surely there is a way to setup these controllers and keep my current HA Core setup

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/1454-how-to-add-your-zac38-800-z-wave-range-extender-to-home-assistant/

You need the drivers for this one. See: