How can I get HA installed

There are many install options, because it depends on what you’re starting from. Some people have a blank slate and a spare Raspberry Pi, some already have a Pi or some other computer they’re using.

Your simplest approach is probably Hassbian, closely followed by an install of Raspbian and then use the All in One installer. It looks like you’re trying the AOI installer, are you saying that when you run the installer you get the error message:

Warning: sudo() received nonzero return code 1 while executing 'ln -s /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/cec /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages'!

It’s important though that you follow the instructions carefully.

Tinkerer
if I use the Hassbian install I can’t use my 7" pi display. all-in-one just keeps crashing/stopping with this

Warning: sudo() received nonzero return code 1 while executing ‘ln -s /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-pac
kages/cec /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages’!

I’ve now tried 6 re-format and followed the instructions of the all-in-one. I even tried 4 different install commands trying to find the one that works. This last try I just use the command again that is listed in the all-in-one that wouldn’t work the very first time I tried because of the $ in front, I removed the $ and it started the setup but it stop at the above “Warning” so I restarted it without reformatting the sd card with no luck

Using Hassbian just means you have to make the required changes to use the display. Are you starting with Raspbian or Raspbian Lite? Can you post the contents of /home/pi/fabric-home-assistant/installation_report.txt somewhere like Pastebin.

Just to ensure there’s not a problem with the installer, I ran a fresh install on a spare Pi. The install ran as expected, rebooted, and HA is running. It could be that you’ve got a failing SD card - have you tried a fresh one?

Tinkerer
stopped installing again with this message, again the same results

Warning: sudo() received nonzero return code 1 while executing ‘ln -s /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/cec /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages’!

If I use the Hassbian 1.1 install method it installed and HA ran but it had this message.

17-03-14 16:48:47 WARNING (Thread-6) [netdisco.ssdp] Error fetching description at https://192.168.1.114:8888

Have you tried a fresh SD card yet?

The exact same issue is happening to me and the users here: All in one on a Rapsberry PI 3 fails

I personally had HASS w/ the AIO installer, but had to format my SD and start all over again. I believe it has nothing to do with the card, because mine was running fine before and it displayed the error the moment I set it up all over again. I also opened an issue on the AIO Github page, where you can access my installation log: https://github.com/home-assistant/fabric-home-assistant/issues/47

I am going crazy over this. I looked for help everywhere I could until I stumbled upon this topic. I personally am at a loss. I just want to have HA back up and running, but I can’t do it, for the life of me. The AIO always gives me this error (I am on my 10th try), the Hassbian - as far as I know - does not have open z-wave installed (and I need it), and I’ve tried installing HA manually and it only works as long as I have the PuTTY on. If I close it, I can no longer access the HA dashboard.

@Tinkerer can you have a look at my installation log (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8x-gIVzQ7IKeXAzbWpOeXh4WlU/view) and see if there is something we might be doing wrong?
I am also not sure if this could be an AIO problem or if it has something to do with the latest Raspbian release. I know I previously ran AIO without any issues (about 4 months ago) and the oldest report about this issue I could find is only 7 days old.

@robbiet480 @CCOSTAN since you guys are contributors on the AIO Github page (and CCOSTAN, you personally helped me out on the Gitter page a while ago), can you also have a look at this, please? I would be so thankful :slight_smile:

It could be an issue with Raspbian versions, my spare Pi that I tested on was installed from 2016-09-23 Jessie Lite. Now, it is up to date, but it’s possible that’s enough of a difference. Sadly I don’t have a totally spare Pi to test with at the moment.

That log is from a totally fresh install? I’m seeing various Errors and Warnings that suggest that there’s an existing install.

As for the PuTTY issue, sounds like you didn’t start HA with the startup scripts. How were you starting it?

That log was from a second install. I tried running it one time and it failed, so I tried a second time. I did not keep a copy from the first try, but the last error (the one that actually aborts the installation and is reported by all the other users here) is always the same. I can try running a fresh install once I get home from work and post it again.

As for the PuTTY issue, I used this page: https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/
So, my last command was the $ hass and it runs fine, but if I close PuTTY, it stops and I have to run the hass command again to get it to work. Is there an extra command I’m missing?

Also, is there a way to download a previous version of Raspbian to see if the issue goes away? I can’t find anything on the official page.

1 Like

just glad that I’m not the only one have this issue, I tried a 10th time, I think losing track on how many times and still the same error massage as above. Carlos if you get the fix PLEASE share it, I’m dead in the water also

Hi,

If you start it (when you can) with …

sudo systemctl restart home-assistant.service

from putty it’ll start as root and shouldn’t close when you exit putty.

Try here.

I do note though that there’s no apparent error in the logs that’s stopping the install. Once it reaches the end, have you checked to see if HA starts?

I found 2016-9-23 version and will try that shortly here.

Tinkerer
I created a disk image using, as you mention above version 2016-09-23 Jessie Lite, I used the All-In-One installer and followed the instructions.

Good so far, then I opened my FireFox browser logged onto HA Bingo It worked! BUT there is that massage at the bottom of the home screen, its the same message that I posted earlier…Please Help
This is the message:

17-03-20 18:01:32 WARNING (Thread-8) [netdisco.ssdp] Error fetching description at https://192.168.1.114:8888

What gives? Can I update PI? Can I update HA?
any help would be appreciated

“17-03-20 18:01:32 WARNING (Thread-8) [netdisco.ssdp] Error fetching description at https://192.168.1.114:8888

the network discovery tried to identify that device and failed. Nothing to worry about, unless the device with that IP has a service you actually expect to work in HA :slight_smile:
I have disco errors too and it’s just an computer with a media player, which denies guest users from using it.

3 Likes

I’m so frustrated trying to install HA I’m on 11 tries. Everything seamed to work except the above mantion error massage. So what to do next? how about updating HA!!! oh yeah total messed things up…sorry just really frustrated, this is the massage I got after I updated HA according to BRUH video on installing HA using the All-In-One installer, but I used Tinkerer version of Jessie lite 2016-09-23

buy the way I’m using a new Raspberry PI 3 and brand new SD card from Scandisk it’s a 16GB ulta HC 1

Please, please, use the preformatted option when posting logs, code snippets etc. Your posts are much harder to follow because you’re not doing so. Remember too, by and large we’re all just end users like you, so helping us helps you.

Now, a quick Google search on your latest actual error finds a number of threads, including this bug report. It looks like the problem is with changes in aiohttp. You could probably address that by manually installing an older version in the virtual environment, but it’s may be simpler for you to simply wait for a fix.

1 Like

Tinkerer
removed message, sorry don’t know how to format the output so you guys can read it. I’ll check on that

Thanks for all your help.

at this point it appears that the All-In-One installation is broken

See the big blue box at the top of every forum page. Select the block of text you want to mark, and then select </> from the text bar in the edit box. Or, use somewhere like Pastebin.