How did you install Home Assistant?

would be really nice to know if that indeed is the case, and if so, what data is collected, and, if we can opt-in to allow the instance do so.
(iow, not like this: Visual Studio Code Frequently Asked Questions)

Although I understand the desire to collect the user data, personally I don’t really like the idea tbh. My data is mine, isn’t that somewhere in the Homeassistant foundation rules, or what that is called?

Looking for the magical word ‘privacy’ I find myself disturbed by the absence of it in the original Statement by Paulus (Balloob)…

Did find it here though Home Assistant

Id vote for keeping Privacy first, at all times. Opt-in (default should be not sharing data) if must. And be very precise on what is shared…

Counting myself to be one of the active members here, who wants to bring Homeassistant further. Still, privacy first. Thats’ Why I installed Home Assistant…

It used to be in configuration.yaml but I can’t find it now… Wonder if I deleted it when I switched to default_config???
Yikes…

you referring to this?:

updater:
  reporting: False

would be fine of course, as long as we know what is shared anyway, and what could be shared when reporting is set to True.

yes, I removed it, but it still is in the hidden filed, as copied above.

Yeah… part of updater. Default is true if you don’t specify. It’s also part of default_config.

that’s not privacy first…

1 Like

Only if they made a final decision to deprecate Home Assistant Supervised after lengthy hold and re-evaluation. Then I will stop paying to Nabu Casa it’s that simple, and I would advise other to do the same.

The way I see it the community does have the power to influence their contribution.

In what way were almost all of the 300 that voted here not random? No one gathered up 300 people and asked them to vote on the poll - the 300 consists of people who happen to read the forum in the window it was open and felt like responding to the poll…

In that context ‘people who read the forum in that window and like responding to polls’ - it seems like its about as random as it could be no?

Because of context.

The poll was created immediately after a heated discussion regarding the announcement that Supervised was being deprecated. It was created to demonstrate that there are more Supervised installations than had been estimated. People who use Supervised had a vested interest to vote in order to permanently suspend it’s deprecation. Therefore, the voters were hardly random.

Had the poll been introduced a week before the deprecation announcement, the voters would have been more random (less biased by current events) and the poll probably would have collected even fewer than 317 votes.

Telemetry in version 0.110 now reports the installation type. Over the next couple of weeks, the collected data will present a clearer picture of which installation methods are used. It will represent a larger sample size and unbiased by the ‘heat of the moment’.

I do not consider the reporting of anonymous stats to breach my privacy. What a load of nonsense.

4 Likes

Me too, I’m done with this discussion as it is. If the development team decides to stick with it’s decissions to remove YAML and the supervised install, I’ll see what the future brings. Maybe a fork of HA (not very likely) or even better, I checked the other HomeAutomationSystems, ioBroker does sound very reasonable.

It simply doesn’t make sense, in my eyes the first step to the ground is ignoring the user base. If you go that route, you’re beating a dead horse. I for one will not attend this happening, I had to much dead horses in opensource.

And to be honest, it is not my business model that goes down the drain, it is theirs. Or do they really think, they have the money and the ressources to build up something like Philips with HUE or Homematic? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Yeah guys, dream on… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Funny how the simple discussion on the different names and installation methods can cause lots of beginners running away screaming :joy::joy:
Most die hard HA users don’t give a shit about beginners and their struggles.

Me to, still paying for nabucasa, but I dont use it. I am donatig for HA use and support. This will change if they deprecate. Have tried VM and I dont like it, it has also big impact on cpu and ram.

I don’t think that’s a fair statement.

I’ve been using HA for over three years and I’m on the forums almost every day if not every single day.

And a lot of that time I spend helping beginners. And that goes for all of the other “power users” (not that I consider myself firmly in that category) who spend lots of their time being the un-official tech support for beginners.

On the other hand I don’t like the trend that seems to be happening where the flexibility and functionality of HA is being eroded solely for the purpose of attracting new users who can’t be bothered to learn to do anything at all other than the same things that other dumbed-down commercial products already do.

If I wanted an “iPhone” version of HA instead of the “Android” version there are already a ton of those types of “home automation” apps.

Now that I can definitely agree with you on.

HA definitely shot themselves in the foot on the name change thing.

As far the different installation methods I think it’s a double-edged sword.

It’s great that it can run on so many different hardware platforms but because of the aforementioned naming fiasco where they tried to wrap the install method up into the naming it just turned it into one big steaming pile of confusion.

If I can run the same “type” of HA (with the supervisor) on multiple install methods but they all involve running on the same ecosystem (docker) they are some how not named the same (“Home Assistant”/“Home Assistant Supervised”). And if I run the other type of HA (without the supervisor) that is also able to be installed in docker but can also be installed in a venv or even directly on the base OS then somehow that is named something else (“Home Assistant Core”), then you get what he have here today in that someone has to come up with a flow chart to figure out “which Home Assistant do I run?”. And even then it’s still confusing to a lot of people - even those who have been around for a long time, too.

8 Likes

Haha love it!

Confusion?

noun*

1. uncertainty about what is happening, intended, or required.
"there seems to be some  **confusion about**  which system does what"

I must admit that does pretty much nail it!
Even though the vulgar term would also have covered it as well!

1 Like

Agreed!

I was just trying to not get hit with the new updated “community guidelines”. :laughing:

1 Like

Stuff it…who cares (re: the “community guidelines”)!
As is already demonstrated, they’ll do exactly what they want despite what 60K users may think!

EDIT: Confusion for the above situation could be like:

the state of being bewildered or unclear in one’s mind about something.
"she looked about her in confusion "

finity
I was perhaps a bit harsh on the die hard users. Maybe this product is too much Open Source. Too many options, lots of developing but hardly a decent piece of documentation. Take for example the official page on how to set up HA on MacOS.

It is in no way leading to result.
A post in the forum by Erik Hendrix worked. Nobody seems te be bothered and change the documentation page. Installing HASS on MacOS (OSX)

I am old skool and I admit it without hesitation. I discussed the topic of documentation quite a few times over the years I worked in IT.
I once had a colleague whow told another coworker new on the job “if you need documentation for this, you are at the wrong spot.”

I don’t want to offend anybody doing a great job but I am puzzled by the simple fact I watch yaml files at github and there is not a single bit on how they set it up. Lots of examples posted in the forum show bits of code but nowhere do I read where to put it.
To someone in HA for over years probably something to giggle about and thinking “if you don’t know where to put it go finad something else to do”
I refuse and I will go on trying to get the things I would like to do working. Therefore with every succes I will put it on my website for others to read and comment on. I have no idea if I can keep it up-to-date with all the changes going on in HA.

I now run HA on a raspberry pi (no idea how to name this installation) and on a python Virtual environment on MacOS.

Installing it is easy compared to the configuring I would like to do.

Adding a simple switch in scripts(??) or in switches.yaml is impossible for me to achieve. So I think most of the die hards are correct. I am too dumb for HA.

Thank you for your answer. You are correct about the some of my statements not being fair. Funny enough I have never been accused of this in the past using other sometimes difficult to set up solutions.

Cheers
Bart

2 Likes

Including you apparently.

Correct! Being here for only a couple of weeks I don’t feel like I am the man to do so.

Don’t you think the man that has known Paris for over 40 years is the better one to draw a map for tourists?

I don’t think that’s fair either.

The person has only been here for two weeks and hasn’t got a handle on the basics yet.

They really can’t be expected to start wring PR’s for the documentation yet.

Cut them some slack.

3 Likes