How do I know when zwave network heal is done?

I did a zwave network heal and after an hour I closed the window and everything appears to be working fine, but when I tried to do an individual device network heal I get this message:

“ A Z-Wave network heal is already in progress. Please wait for it to finish before healing an individual device.”

Is there any way for me to know when it is done? Anything I shouldn’t do while the heal is in progress?

Mine takes over a day (14-16 hrs) for a complete heal to finish- but I have at least a dozen battery powered sensors… It matters - ZwaveJS won’t complete a network heal until ALL devices heal - including your battery powered ones. I have some in awkward places so I’m not running around trying to wake them manually to run a network heal.

So I use ZwaveJS2MQTT - which has a nice little console which tells me what’s happening AND will let me heal one ode at a time. Network heals IMHO are noisy and should only be used as a last resort when the network is really wacked out. Otherwise, in my experience, targeted healing s of specific devices usually yield better result.

Also - any specific reason you’re trying a network heal?

Thanks - I only have zwave JS. Do you know if there is any way to know when it is done, and if there is anything I shouldn’t be doing while it is working?

To your question:
I ran into a problem with 2 zwave Leviton dimmer switches failing to respond after the last update. I tried a targeted node heal and it didn’t work, so I thought I would try a network heal after restarting didn’t help. It didn’t help, unfortunately. I ended up having to kill my circuit breaker and reboot. However, after I got it working I went to do a targeted heal to see if everything was working and got the message in original post.

I’m hindsight I probably shouldn’t have done the full network heal… was just pushing buttons trying to fix the problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eh the only side effects I’ve ever had from a heal is slow/no response for an hour or so… But that dies down after you make it through the powered nodes. You could review the ZWaveJS log and you’ll eventually see the heal messages come through along with a completion acknowledgement at some point… But without knowing what has been done i have no idea how long it will continue to take, especially if you’re just waiting on battery powered devices wake and report in at this point (highly likely)

Waking battery powered nodes will speed things up a LOT but again for me thats not an option. Maybe it is for you.

One last question what kind of z-stick are you using?

Thanks - looks like it finished this morning (I tried running an individual device heal and didn’t get the warning message again)

I’m using a Zooz 700 usb stick with the latest firmware

It’s been a very reliable system with the Zooz switches, but these older Leviton ones have been a little glitchy. I wish Zooz would come out with similar dimmer models with the physical dimmer control -vs- push and hold (wife and kids hate that style)

Unless you updated it after last Tuesday I doubt that.

There is a known issue with the Silicon Labs 700 series chip firmware LESS than 7.17.1 which could explain your random drops. AND a known lockup when doing a full network heal. The firmware wasn’t available till about a week and a half ago. You’ll want this firmware sooner rather than later because a known side effect of the bug is healing never completes and actually makes the ZWave network comms worse than before.

:construction: META-Issue: Problems with 700 series (healing, delays, neighbors, …) :construction: · Issue #3906 · zwave-js/node-zwave-js (github.com)

Link to the firmware files is in the thread - near the bottom. ALL Series 700 sticks use the same Zwave chip firmware.

Note some with Zooz 700 sticks have had trouble installing the firmware. Mine (I use a Zooz 700 myself) went fine using the Silicon Labs tool.

1 Like

I have a Zooz 700 stick, but I run ZWaveJS, and it’s on an RPi4, so no way to update the firmware. I believe I could move the stick to my PC and use a utility there, but the thought of that process wiping out my network, and me having to rebuild and rename everything, is too horrible to contemplate.

In my very limited understanding of Zwave, all the knowledge of the mesh and the devices is stored in the controller, i.e. the USB stick itself. Is that correct? Is this update guaranteed not to disturb this data?

Its nondestructive. Thats EXACTLY how I upgraded mine. Just take an NVR backup before you do it (belt and suspenders, just in case) and upgrade away.

1 Like

I’m still scared, but thanks, you’ve given me hope.

If you transferred the stick from RPi to Windows PC, what did you do on the RPi - just power down and remove the stick, then power up the RPi after the upgrade?

What I’d really like to do is move from ZWaveJS to ZWaveJSMQTT. But that’s like climbing Everest.

That’s exactly how you do it.

What did you use to do the update on Windows? The Silicon Labs utility?

1 Like

Yes, the Silicon Labs tools.

1 Like

I see that the SL tool can do a backup of the stored configuration.

Here’s my next anxiety: my PC is down in the basement, the RPi is upstairs. When the stick wakes up in the PC it finds itself in a different location relative to all the known devices. Does it start madly trying to “heal” the mesh and calculate new routes?

No. Thats a commmand thatvhas to be issued ro the stick fromnthe controller software. And even if it does. Its fine.

Its still the same network and still run by the same coordinator stick. It just happena to be sitting on another power source at the moment.

1 Like

I have Aeotec Multisensor 7’s and they’re not updating… I thought running a “rebuild route” would help but it’s been going for over an hour with no updates… any ideas?