How do I remove a Z-Wave Node that does not appear under Nodes drop down?

I added a Zooz 4-in-1 sensor, but must have made a mistake. Only the badges showed up on the homepage, the sensor did not. However, it did show up under States <> and in the Z-wave logs as Node22. I did a factory reset on the sensor, and added it (securely) and now it is showing up as Node23 which is ok, but how can I remove all references to Node22?

Here’s a screenshot.

If I recall a “Heal Network” removes dead nodes.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, no love. Rebooted, still shows Node22 in the z-logs, and the sensor badges remain on the home page.

I may just start all over again. I’ve got a spare Pi 3B+ and see what happens.

Any other suggestions?

ssh root@ha-host-id
cd /config/.storage
rm core.entity_registry

reboot

1 Like

If all else fails you may have to edit that entry out of the ozwcfg_…xml file in your config directory. I would save an unmodified copy of it first tho.

1 Like

core-ssh:~# cd /config/.storage
-bash: cd: /config/.storage: No such file or directory
core-ssh:~# ls -l
total 0
core-ssh:~# cd /config
core-ssh:/config# ls -l
total 172484
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 398750 Sep 7 10:01 OZW_Log.txt
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1833 Aug 30 18:08 automations.yaml
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 2147 Aug 21 16:46 configuration.yaml
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 28 13:04 customize.yaml
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 28 13:04 deps
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 7732 Aug 30 17:47 entity_registry.yaml
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 28 13:04 groups.yaml
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 4075 Sep 7 10:32 home-assistant.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 175972352 Sep 7 10:51 home-assistant_v2.db
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jul 30 17:59 node-red
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1122 Jul 28 14:18 options.xml
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 32768 Jul 28 14:18 pyozw.sqlite
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 28 13:04 scripts.yaml
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 158 Jul 28 13:39 secrets.yaml
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 28 13:04 tts
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 86 Aug 21 16:13 zwave_device_config.yaml
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 157603 Sep 7 09:06 zwcfg_0xdb9311e9.xml
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 108 Sep 7 09:06 zwscene.xml
core-ssh:/config#

Should I delete the entity_registry.yaml file?

Why not? It will be rebuilt on restart.

1 Like

I think I’ll try this first. I’ve got a backup from this morning before I started messing around.

Can I take this opportunity to re-numerate all my nodes? There are gaps, due to my learning curve and removing/re-adding nodes

That’s good to know.
I think I’ll try editing it first, and if I hose it up, I can just delete it.
Thanks!

We Texans need to stick together.

1 Like

I don’t think re-enumerating your nodes is a good idea. There is some kind of a link between the data in your z stick (or other controller) and that xml file because the xml file info is somehow pulled from the controller. I’d be concerned that with the node info on the controller and xml file not referencing the same device it could really jack things up.

1 Like

Ohh, hadn’t thought of the controller and how it plays a part. Thanks for saving me from myself.

Wait for Node 22 to show up as “Failed” then you can select it and use the Remove Failed Node option.

1 Like

I’m not sure why but that way of doing it has been kind of hit or miss for me.

1 Like

After some editing of the entity_registry.yaml file, the Zooz 4-in-one is now showing up as Node22. Yippee!
I also have an Unknown Node23 that is still initializing after a reboot about 5 minutes ago. I think I’ll let it fail (may take a day or two) then remove it via the Z-Wave Configuration page.

Thanks Everyone! I think this is fixed (for now). I just have to get my motion sensing automaton working now.

@squirtbrnr just replied to a similar question a few minutes ago in this thread

Aparently the controller does not reuse node numbers. @squirtbrnr said:

It’s not just HA. That’s the zwave controller doing it. Once you hit node 232 it will start over and re-use any unused node numbers. Zwave allows a maximum of 232 nodes including the controller.

This actually makes sense. If Node 5 is offline temporarily, you don’t want the controller to reuse the node number with the next new device.