How do I setup this Aeotec zw089 Recessed Door Sensor?

I purchased an Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 from Amazon, Click here to see it on Amazon. It has been adopted into the Z-Wave on my Home Assistant and under Z-Wave Node Management, I have named it “Pool Door (Node:4 Probe)”.

I made several attempts to try to get this to register properly in Home Assistant so I can be notified when the door is opened. You can see several Entities of this node in the screen shot here. Which one do I need to be using for my Automation? I tried several different entities, but can’t seem to find the correct one.

Screen shot of Z-Wave Node Management

I know that it’s working because when I move the magnet away from the sensor, it registers in the OZW log. The value changes from 255 to 0, then back as the magnet is returned. What do I do to set this up?

Here’s what I see in the log…

OZW log

Which of these entities do I need to modify to be able to setup an automation with it?

Have you tried enabling the SENSOR_BINARY_REPORT parameter (from that page - the zwave panel).

After you do that, open the states dev tool (looks like <> at the bottom of the left-side HA menu). Find the entities on that page and open/close the sensor and see what changes. I added an Aeotec motion sensor yesterday. After turning on binary reporting, I saw the motion reported via a binary_sensor entity.

Thanks ih8gates, I took those steps as you recommended. I did go to the states dev tool and I was finally able to see the changes on the sensor take place in real time. The entity is named zwave.pool_door, in the popout for the entity I see transmission count increase each time I move the magnet from the sensor. I don’t see any data from it.

This entity show as “Initializing (Probe)”.
From the other entities that show up for this device, I don’t see any signals whenever I move the magnet from the sensor.

Perhaps I should try to remove the device and add it back to Home Assistant?

I removed the device, removed all the entities, added it back and got the same results. I can read that there are changes in the value from 0 to 255 and back. In the State Dev Tool, I can see the count of transmissions increasing too. I just can’t get any useable information that I can put into an automation, or to show in a LoveLace badge.

BTW, I also went ahead and created a secure network key and removed and added it back securely too.

Where do I go to find what to use to make an automation?

So switching to binary report didn’t work? Sometimes it doesn’t take on the first try, but you shouldn’t have to rediscover the device.

1 Like

With my TriSensor, I had to remove it and re-add it the first time and follow the instructions better. My first add resulted in a device that was always in “initializing” mode and didn’t show its attributes (name, etc) properly in HA. The workflow is to put HA in to “add node” first, then press a button on the TriSensor to wake it for pairing.

When you switch to binary reporting, you’ll likely need to wake the device, too.

I don’t think the zwave.pool_door is the entity you want, though. There will likely be a binary_sensor or similar that it also creates. It’ll be based on pool_door - do a “find in page” (ctrl-f or whatever) on the states page to see if there are any other pool_door entities.

1 Like

I don’t really understand what I’m missing here. But I want to see this through, please advise, I just started using Home Assistant about six weeks ago, I really needed a hobby.

I removed the Node completely, including all entities. It was node 4, I added it back as a node and it was node 6. Then I decided to go ahead and secure it all so I took those steps and removed it then added it as a “Secure Node” it showed up as Node 7. I’m sure there are some files I need to edit somewhere to get the Node count corrected, but it is what it is at the moment.

Now it shows up as a Node with a single Entity it was a binary_sensor.aeon_blah_blah_blah_blah_etc, I renamed the entity to be more user friendly (binary_sensor.pool_door) and it’s showing up properly in the Z-Wave Network Management.
Voila_Capture%202019-04-11_01-10-03_PM
I took the next recommended steps, scrolled down to Node config options and selected “Sensor Binary Report Toggle” from the drop-down menu. The list of choices is shown here.
Voila_Capture%202019-04-11_01-10-36_PM
I configured it as shown below this line and clicked on the link “SET CONFIG PARAMETER”.
Voila_Capture%202019-04-11_01-10-57_PM
Just to be sure about this, I went ahead and checked the log tail and woke up the sensor with a toothpick into the reset hole. It showed up as awake. “Node 7 has been marked as awake”…
Then to be extra paranoid. I went up to the top and clicked the “SAVE CONFIG” button, then woke up the sensor again, then restarted HA.

Here is what I have now.
Every time I remove the magnet, the value changes in the Z-Wave log from 0 to 255, then back.
In the States Dev Tool for binary_sensor.pool_door, nothing changes.
In the States Dev Tool for zwave.aeon_labs_zw089_recessed_door_sensor_gen5_2 the “receivedCnt:” value increases, but no other data is seen.
zwave.aeon_labs_zw089_recessed_door_sensor_gen5_2 is apparently the name of the sensor, and it shows up as “sleeping” on the badge for it in LoveLace Overview.
The badge I created for binary_sensor.pool_door always shows as “On”.

Where am I missing something? It’s frustrating, but I’m a patient man.
I feel like theres some configuration I need to add, I tried several already, but to no avail. What do I need to check next?

What you’ve detailed there seems right to me. HA is dependent on how Open Zwave reports data back. This reminds be of someone that was working with a door-hinge sensor a while back. They had to set up a template sensor to get a useful true/false to build automations from.

You might be able to do this if you can find an entity that’s reflecting the 0/255 traffic you’re seeing in the log. See if there’s another entity based on the “aeon_labs_zw089_recessed_door_sensor_gen5_2” style name that was autogenerated. With my TriSensor, I got 4 or 5 entities when pairing it.

You’re supposed to change config parameter “121: Report Type” to “Sensor Binary Report” if you want the binary sensor to work.

1 Like

That was it! I was choosing the incorrect node configuration option.
Thank you so much for the solution freshcoast.
ih8gates, walrus_parka thank you both for contributing, I have learned some things working on this aspect of my project.

After I selected the 121: Report Type as recommended by freshcoast, I then selected Sensor Binary Report so that it looked like this image.

Now I was able to modify one of my automations to alert to open door using the binary_sensor.pool_door entity, and I also made a badge to show it as a door opening and closing.

Thanks again community!

Id love to see your simple door badge open door alert code

I am facing the same problem as you and I tried to manually modify the parameter using the Z wave Control Panel. It modifies and as soon as I leave the page it reset itself to what is the default. How can I update it to 121 to send the Binary Sensor Report? Right now it is set to Send Basic Report and if I open or close the sensor I am not getting anything. Actually, I want to use this as part of Alamo Integration to use it for home security. But it does not work and I am unable to update the parameter.

{
  "id": "12-112-0-121-1",
  "nodeId": 12,
  "commandClass": 112,
  "commandClassName": "Configuration",
  "endpoint": 0,
  "property": 121,
  "propertyName": "On Trigger: Send Battery Report",
  "propertyKey": 1,
  "type": "number",
  "readable": true,
  "writeable": true,
  "label": "On Trigger: Send Battery Report",
  "default": 0,
  "stateless": false,
  "commandClassVersion": 1,
  "min": 0,
  "max": 1,
  "list": true,
  "allowManualEntry": false,
  "states": [
    {
      "text": "Disable",
      "value": 0
    },
    {
      "text": "Enable",
      "value": 1
    }
  ],
  "value": 0,
  "lastUpdate": 1644108158490,
  "newValue": 0
},
{
  "id": "12-112-0-121-16",
  "propertyName": "On Trigger: Send Binary Sensor Report",
  "propertyKey": 16,
  "label": "On Trigger: Send Binary Sensor Report",
    {
    },
    {
    }
  ],
  "value": 0,
  "lastUpdate": 1644108158492,
  "newValue": 1
},
{
  "id": "12-112-0-121-256",
  "propertyName": "On Trigger: Send Basic Report",
  "propertyKey": 256,
  "label": "On Trigger: Send Basic Report",
    {
    },
    {
    }
  ],
  "value": 1,
  "lastUpdate": 1644108158494,
  "newValue": 0
},

Can anyone please help me?

It’s a battery device so it needs to wake up in order to receive the updated configuration. Wake it up manually according to the device manual, or wait for the configured wake up interval to elapse.

1 Like