How do I troubleshoot network issues

I’m trying out home assistant for the very first time and I’m having trouble getting home assistant to register an IP address. Before I dive into the details, let me give some fast facts:

Host: Generic x86/64 mini PC w/ 8 gigs of ram and Intel processor
Home Assistant Version: 10.3

I have my PC attached to a keyboard and monitor. It boots into the HA console. The banner reads:

IPv4 addresses for enp1s0:

That’s not a typo. I don’t get an address at all. The network cable is plugged into the mini PC and lights are blinking on both the PC and the network switch.

In order to attempt to get this network to start, I typed in:

network update enp1s0

The response back is:

Error Can't create config and activate enp1s0: Connection 'Supervisor enp1s0' is not available on device enp1s0 because device has no carrier.

Again, I checked the cable.

At this point, I would normally drop into a bash shell and use regular linux commands to help troubleshoot, but I can’t even figure out how to do that.

The box also has wifi on it, but I don’t know how to activate it either. When I execute network info, I get a bunch of information including an entry that says wifi: null.

I also tried attaching a USB network dongle and had no luck. How do I get past “step 1”?

It looks like I’m not the only one:

No WIFI or ethernet card recognized on KAMRUI GK3 Plus · Issue #2600 · home-assistant/operating-system (github.com)

And it looks like this is not going to be supported. :sob: I ordered the box specifically for Home Assistant. I guess Home Assistant has very limited compatibility. :man_shrugging:t2:

Any advice to get this to work would be appreciated.

Hey future troubleshooters. I still haven’t figured this out yet, but I did figure out how to drop into a shell. Type login at the ha prompt.

This is why Intel NUCs are generally used for the SFF PCs.

Best of luck…

Home Assistant OS has likely limited support for generic hardware, indeed.

The best course of action here is to install the Linux distribution supported by your hardware vendor, then use the Home Assistant Container installation method (at the cost of addon support)

Next option is to install some virtualization software, then use HAOS in a virtual machine.

2 Likes

I also had the same problem because my generic x86 couldn’t get an IP address while connecting directly to my PC. I connect it to my router and get IP. but I still can’t solve the wifi problem. My wifi card is not showing up may be due to a driver issue.

Looks like native support for the NIC in GK3 Plus will be part of Home Assistant OS 10.4, see the recent commits: