How do I upgrade on a non-Hassbian Pi installation

I have a regular Stretch setup, with Home Assistant running my Z-Wave stuff, and other programs doing other things. I tried the upgrade I read on the info page, sudo pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant@homeassistant (because I have a separate non-GUI user for homeassistant). But I got a bunch of stuff that I have no idea how to fix:

Invalid requirement: ‘homeassistant@homeassistant’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/req/req_install.py”, line 82, in init
req = Requirement(req)
File “/usr/share/python-wheels/packaging-16.8-py2.py3-none-any.whl/packaging/requirements.py”, line 101, in init
raise InvalidRequirement(“Invalid URL given”)
pip._vendor.packaging.requirements.InvalidRequirement: Invalid URL given

Can somebody please tell me what the correct way would be?

sudo pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant

That won’t work, as I said I have a separate user for Home Assistant, and according to the info page:

To avoid permission errors, the upgrade must be run as the same user as the installation was completed

sudo su homeassistant

pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant

Thanks, that worked. :slight_smile: I tried to find a place in the GUI that shows current version, but it seems like I have to add a sensor, or something.

It’s in the dev info (the little round icon with an ‘i’ in it)

Thanks, found it! For some reason it’s not showing the latest version, which I thought I installed. And when I try the code above now:

$ pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant
File “/usr/bin/pip3”, line 9, in
from pip import main
ImportError: cannot import name ‘main’
$ pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant
File “/usr/bin/pip3”, line 9, in
from pip import main
ImportError: cannot import name ‘main’

Did you install homeassistant into a virtual environment? May need to run source bin/activate

To be honest I have no idea. Is there any way to check for that? I used this:

Yes, follow the upgrade instructions on that page: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/#updating

I really need to read further down on pages… :persevere: Sorry, and thanks!