How do set up adaptive lighting for Ikea light bulbs

Hi, I want to use adaptive lighting to change brightness and color temperature over the day. Sadly I have a few Ikea light bulbs and I know that they have some issues with transitions.

evertheless, is it somehow possible to adapt adaptive lighting so that it works with the Ikea lamps? I wasn’t able to get it to work

I use Adaptive wth Ikea bulbs, works fine.

Sure, you can’t use transitions that are many minutes long, but tens of seconds works fine. I’m currently using a 20 second transition, but I’m pretty sure 30 seconds worked fine, and longer likely will.

I forgot to mention, that I use ZHA and Skyconnect. I could switch to Conbee II and Phoscon. Or I really have to go mad an move from ZHA to Z2M.

What is your setup?

I use Zigbee2MQTT, but that’s irrelevant to your question. Transitions are a feature of the bulb, not the stick or the software.

I’m not sure. Maybe Z2M has a better support or built in work arounds for the Ikea lights.

For example I have the problem that sometimes lights in a group stay on while the switch in HA is off. This seems to be a known bug.

However, what did you set up in the adaptive lightning config?

Well, that’s Zigbee for you. Messages can get lost. I use groups in Z2M to handle that.

As I said already:

I’m currently using a 20 second transition

I mean settings like separate_turn_on_commands, send_split_delay or adept_delay.

And just to make sure we are talking about the same addon:

That’s not an add-on, that’s an integration :wink:

I have it mostly at the defaults AFAK - it’s been a long time since I set it up.

Interval: 170 s
take_over_control: enabled

Other settings (all done in the UI) are disabled or set to zero

You are right, integration :man_facepalming:

Thanks for you help. I still have the 45 second default for the transition. I will try it later with 20 seconds

After setting the transition time to 20 or less it works better, but not perfect. Sometimes, if I turn the lights on, only color Temperatur is changing but not the brightness. It can take a while untill the brightness is at the desired value.

I can fix this by enable separate_turn_on_commands. But then light groups behave strange. Lights don’t turn on at the same time, they turn in one after the other. But color temp and brightness are correct.

I assume I have to live with one of these behaviours?

I found the solution in the Adaptive Lighting documentation. Those who can read have a clear advantage.

1 Like