How do you add Z-wave devices (add-node missing)

This is my first time trying to use Home Assistant.

I have a new installation of Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi 4, and a new Zooz S2 Stick 700 plugged in. The system seemed to detect the stick and the integration procedure seemed to complete.

However, now I can’t find a way to add Z-wave devices. The manual for the Z-wave JS integration says go to Configuration > Integrations > Z-wave JS > Configure and then press the Add Node button.

1. the Z-wave JS integration seems to actually be buried under the Supervisor integration.
  2. It takes me to the Supervisor Add-on section for Z-wave JS where there is a configuration tab.
  3. In that configuration page I see an Option panel and a Network panel. But no buttons or links labeled Add Node.

The URL for that Z-Wave JS configuration page in the browser is this:
http://homeassistant.local:8123/hassio/addon/core_zwave_js/config

Should I be seeing “Add Node” on that page? Did things get moved in a recent update (compared to the manual)? Or did something no install properly for the 700 series stick?

What is going on here?

I think you are confusing some terms.

it seems you installed the supervised zwavejs add-on at the same time that you installed the zwavejs integration (those are two completely different but inter-related things). Correct?

Now you want to include a new device into the zwavejs system? correct?

if so then you need to go to the “configuration->integrations” then look for zwavejs there. Click on “configure” and that page should have all of the referenced controls.

I may have installed the supervised add-on, but that was the only option under Integrations. This is what the final result looks like after running that installer.

There is no dedicated Z-Wave JS panel in Integrations section, but the Supervisor panel there has something.

(the new user restriction won’t let me post a second image in a post.

After clicking the “3 services” link I get this screen.

After clicking the Z-Wave JS line from the following image, I get this page.

Still in the Configuration section here.

After clicking the Visit Service link from the following image, it takes me out of the main Configuration > Integrations area and into the main Supervisor section on the Z-Wave JS add-on page.

Clicking the configuration tab under the Supervisor’s Z-Wave JS page leads to this screen.

Here is what I was talking about:

ex

ex2

This panel doesn’t exist on my system.

Any idea why?

No. And I may not be able to help too much since I don’t use the supervisor/add-ons. So I’m not exactly sure what you should see when you look at the integrations page for the supervisor added add-ons.

But I can try…

You said you did install the integration tho, correct?

By that I mean you went to the integrations page (where that pic is taken from) and in the bottom right corner you clicked on the add integration button and from there you added the zwavejs integration?

After I plugged in the Z-Wave stick, I went to the Configuration > Integrations page and it had auto discovered the stick and offered to install. I forget the wording, but I clicked on Configure or Install or whatever on that “Discovered” panel which ran through what appeared to be a Z-Wave JS installer.

I did not click Add Integration.

If I click on Add Integration button now and choose the Z-Wave JS, I get this:

(Ugh. Still can’t include more than one image in a post.)

Clicking on Submit from the previous image gives me this:

If I uncheck the “User the Z-wave JS Supervisor add-on” checkbox from two images up, I get this:

Then clicking submit gives me another failed to connect message.

What kind/brand of zwave controller stick are you using?

Zooz S2 Stick 700

I don’t know what the Supervisor Add-on is supposed to do, but maybe I need to try uninstalling things and see if it can be installed without the Supervisor Add-on.

Are you sure you only have one zwavejs add-on running? Look under the supervisor tab on the left and go to the add-on area and make sure there is only one zwavejs add-on running.

Also if that looks OK try looking in the log under the zwavejs add-on configuration area and see if there is something that gives you a clue there.

it seems as if something is blocking your add-on from communicating with the zwave stick.

1 Like

I do see an error that gets repeated half a dozen times in the Log tab.

Error: failed loading config file /etc/zwave_config.json
Error: Invalid key format for securityKeys.S0_Legacy option

I decided to uninstall and reinstall Z-wave JS and let it make up it’s own keys. That seemed to fix things.

1 Like

That could cause an issue if you have already included any devices securely since it will now be using different keys than what was auto generated.

But I’m glad it’s now working.

Just recently came across this same issue where the only options i have in the zwave js menu is to remove device, heal network, or reconfigure. the add device is no longer there. has anyone else ran into this recently. the last device i added was a S2 level security motion sensor a few days ago.

It’s in the + Add Integration screen now, less clicks.

1 Like