How do you patch openzwave after the .45 update

Ok, so I’m running ubuntu with HA in a venv. I have been using a custom patched version of OpenZwave that has support for SecureBarrier that way I can manage my garage doors. Now that python OpenZwave is a managed PyPi package, how do I go about patching it? Any help would be appreciated.

So I attempted to install dev openzwave branch using this command: pip install python_openzwave --no-cache-dir --install-option="–flavor=ozwdev" prior to upgrading HA to .45.1 That didn’t work and I lost access to my garage door openers…

I then uninstalled python openzwave and then removed the requirement in the zwave module init file in HA (based on a suggestion from armills) and attempted to reinstall my previously patched version of openzwave. That didn’t work either…

I then attempted to remove all traces of openzwave altogether and I restarted HA. To my surprise, zwave functionality is still working in HA.

How can I find out where else openzwave could possibly still be lurking? I’m on ubuntu.

I’d also like to know the answer to this.

Linked below is the patchset I use to build a docker image with barrier support. It’s very similar to the blog post also linked. You should be able to achieve a similar result by just running those same commands.

Also note that you need to patch home-assistant as shown in the link to remove python-openzwave from the REQUIREMENTS variable, otherwise home assistant will download the newer version automatically. Make sure to clear out the folder <config_dir>/deps to make sure the downloaded version is removed. Once you do that you should be able to continue using your custom patched version.

https://github.com/armills/home-assistant/commit/8ecd59a25eb6802e71a69c6aceff54e02b90ce06

1 Like

@armills thanks a ton for the help today. your tip in the post above about the deps directory is what I was missing. Everything is working now. Thanks again!

If I’m using Hassbian and installed Z wave via the Hassbian script, would I still use this process? Or is there another process? Would love to patch mine to work with my Linear opener. Not heavy on docker so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You could patch the hassbian script in a similar way as the docker script near these lines: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassbian-scripts/blob/dev/package/opt/hassbian/suites/install_openzwave.sh#L49

You would have to take the same steps of removing python-openzwave from the REQUIREMENTS so that Home Assistant doesn’t try to install it from pip.

1 Like

Can you write out the commands needed to do this I’m missing something to get this working.

Thanks,

Hi!

Following your tips to recompile openzwave…

The url https://github.com/home-assistant/hassbian-scripts/blob/dev/package/opt/hassbian/suites/install_openzwave.sh#L49 doesn´t exist anymore

Any hint?

Is this still required?

There’s pip commands to use now :stuck_out_tongue:

It has been a while but isn’t it automatically installed when you add the Zwave entry in configuration.yaml?

Not for the barrier support. :wink:

1 Like

Missed barrier support in the first post.