How long USB cable for Aeotec Z-Stick 7

Hello,

I’d like to know if is possible to put Aeostic Z-Stick 7 on 5 meters long USB cable? My Rasp.Pi with HA is not in good position for a Z-wave and I would like to move Aeostic Z-Stick to a better position and I would need about 5 meters long cable to do that.

Thank you.

Should not be a problem, but take a good quality USB cable.

1 Like

5m is the absolute max length for USB2.

If you use a GOOD cable, plug into a USB2 port should work but… I’d personally look at a network connected stick or a remote pi instead if I had to do a 5M run. But again it SHOULD work…

If there are problems, look for potential voltage drop and signal issues. Good luck

I have a thread dongle (nrf52840) on a 5m USB cable, no issues. (Zigbee is a TubeZB Ethernet coordinator, so never tested a long USB Cable with Zigbee)

1 Like

I have my MIDI electric piano connected to a PC with a 5m usb for sheet music processing but I’d never do anything that requires hi frequency rf comms at max length.

I definitely don’t recommend it for production install. 3m yes I’d do it. 5m eliminates any margins for error and why I’d recommend a network controller once they get this long.

1 Like