How Restore password on hassio?

For some illogical reason I do not remember the password to access the frontpanel panel.

could I know how to reset it? for hassio?

Check out the docs. Specifically the lost owner portion linked below.

1 Like

thanks! @allan :slight_smile:

Did the same thing. I am trying to access the configuration folder to reset it but I cant manage access this?

I seem to be in a research loop with this. I need to reset all passwords, but to do so via SMB or SSH I need to know the passwords, which I thought were in my password manager but it seems not.

The guide to reset seems to assume you already know how to get in?

I am setting up a router so the device IP has changed which has kicked all my clients off and resulted in a complete mess. Even assigning back to the original static IP has kept my devices kicked off so only solution is to reset password it seems.

What device and OS are you on?

Thanks for replying, sorry if that came off as a big frustrated rant… because it sort of was.

Rpi 3 b+ hass.io

I ended up remembering the SMB password so got to delete the config. Which let me get back to onboarding, but that just does literally nothing, it just lets me hit the create account button but doesn’t progress

Delete the auth* files in < config >/.storage

Hi,

So if the same thing happens to me, on my 0.100.3 hassio on RPi4, could I:

a) Restore a previous snapshot, if there was a simple password there? (I have another admin user, I just want to recover the “owner” password), copy those data for the offending user, restore the latest snapshot and edit the proper files with the offending user data?

b) Shutdown my Pi, and remove the microSD card, format another one, reinstall hassio from scratch, create password for initial user, save auth file entries for the offending user, shutdown, reinstall working SD card and restart, get into second admin account and edit config to add new/correct password data. Restart. Pray?

These may sound more onerous, but I don’t need to delete a lot of auth files with other stuff in them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ambi

Hi,

OK. I just tried a) but with a twist:

1. find the oldest snapshot where you know the password. In my case, it was 15 days ago. My snapshots don’t have passwords (yet).
  2. make sure your target device (windows 10 for me) has a tar/gzip/zip program. I use 7-zip.
  3. using the Samba share I previously know works, get the oldest snapshot (located in /backup for Hass.io) and copy the whole tarball (zip file having multiple zip files inside) and place it on your local machine. Make sure you copy it and don’t “cut” it as it will remove it from HA.
  4. open the local version of the backup using the zip program.
  5. It’s generally best to extract the whole archive, if the zip program allows. In my case, it does allow, but the individual tar files still need to be “unzipped”.
  6. One of the individual tar files is “homeassistant.tar.gz” open this file.
  7. Inside this file there is a path “./data/tmp/tmpa1_0vvkw/homeassistant.tar” (at least the tmpa1_… was in mine, so your mileage may vary, but get the homeassistant.tar file)
  8. Open homeassistant.tar, and open the ./ path.
  9. Now you are in the tar at the point where the /config directory was in the original hass/HA.
  10. open the .storage directory and open the “auth_provider.homeassistant” file.
  11. copy the whole contents or just the “password”: “FSgtExCC…etc”
  12. If you have HA/hass still running and can open the configuration tab with another admin, just repalce the password string for the proper user. If you don’t have another user, and you can’t ssh to it to edit the file., shut down HA and edit the media (microSD or whatever) directly.
  13. save your changes and restart (if you just edited the file) or restart (if you removed the boot media).
  14. try your login with the old password.
  15. see how it works!!! (whoo hooo) Click Configuration/Users to make sure you are the user and it’s the owner (which is what I was trying to recover - the owner password).
  16. for God’s sake, change the password to something complex and put it in a password manager!!
  17. take a snapshot after you’ve changed the password, and copy the whole backup directory off the device - put it on your PC, in your OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. You can even zip them all in a single tarball with a password, if you want to be extra careful.

Cheers,

Ambi

I had this too, and removed the /auth files. when I reboot HA, it will come up with the onboarding screen for entering a new account. However, the button to create the account seems not to work. The browser console says

Object { error: “Response error: 500”, status_code: 500, body: “500 Internal Server Error\n\nServer got itself in trouble” }

Probably permissions should be set in a special way for /.storage?