How the heck do I get Arlo into Home Assistant?

Hi everyone!

I’ve been struggling to get my Arlo camera system into Home Assistant. I’ve added the Arlo code into my config file, but I keep getting the following errors:

2020-11-07 11:16:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for arlo: Integration failed to initialize.

2020-11-07 11:16:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform arlo.alarm_control_panel: Unable to set up component.

2020-11-07 11:16:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform arlo.sensor: Unable to set up component.

2020-11-07 11:16:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform arlo.camera: Unable to set up component.

I realize I’m probably overlooking something simple and that I’m likely just daft, but could someone cue me up on whatever that simple thing is I’m not seeing? Or, alternatively, if perhaps the Arlo support is just not keeping up with Home Assistant? Or, finally – is Arlo just not going to happen for me, into Home Assistant? I’d like to integrate it, and I’m not letting it go (it has an audio only doorbell, which I like), but I don’t want to waste my time.

Thanks!

There is a different Arlo integration published via HACS “aarlo” - I use that and it has been great.

2 Likes

Yeah – I’ve got PARTS of that installed, too, but it’s not working out for me. Do you have a solid guide, with step-by-step breakdown of how to install or troubleshoot on that?

I’ve got HACS in and on, but unless I’m missing something, Aarlo isn’t working for me.

Which bits aren’t working? I added the basic configuration. Restarted and job done.
I’ve set up the 2fa thing but for now it’s not needed as I have an an additional homeassistant only arlo user setup on my arlo account and that user isn’t 2fa enabled.

aarlo:
  username: !secret arlo_username
  password: !secret arlo_password
  tfa_host: imap,gmail.com
  tfa_username: !secret aarlogmail
  tfa_password: !secret aarlogmailpassword
  hide_deprecated_services: true
#  refresh_devices_every: 2
#  stream_timeout:120
#  reconnect_every: 90

alarm_control_panel:
  - platform: aarlo
    away_mode_name: armed
    home_mode_name: home
    night_mode_name: night
    trigger_time: 30
    alarm_volume: 1

camera:

binary_sensor:
    monitored_conditions:
      - motion
      - sound
      - connectivity

sensor:
    monitored_conditions:
      - total_cameras
      - last_capture
      - recent_activity
      - captured_today
      - battery_level
      - signal_strength

media_player:

light:

switch:
    snapshot: true

3 Likes

This is what I’m getting:

2020-11-07 14:32:02 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component aarlo

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py”, line 213, in _async_setup_component

result = await task

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 57, in run

result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)

File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/init.py”, line 240, in setup

arlo = PyArlo(username=username, password=password,

File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/pyaarlo/init.py”, line 143, in init

self._be = ArloBackEnd(self)

File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/pyaarlo/backend.py”, line 45, in init

self._logged_in = self._login()

File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/pyaarlo/backend.py”, line 479, in _login

if not self._auth():

File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/pyaarlo/backend.py”, line 401, in _auth

if not tfa.start():

File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/pyaarlo/tfa.py”, line 49, in start

self._imap = imaplib.IMAP4_SSL(self._arlo.cfg.tfa_host)

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/imaplib.py”, line 1297, in init

IMAP4.init(self, host, port)

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/imaplib.py”, line 198, in init

self.open(host, port)

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/imaplib.py”, line 1310, in open

IMAP4.open(self, host, port)

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/imaplib.py”, line 303, in open

self.sock = self._create_socket()

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/imaplib.py”, line 1300, in _create_socket

sock = IMAP4._create_socket(self)

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/imaplib.py”, line 293, in _create_socket

return socket.create_connection((host, self.port))

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/socket.py”, line 787, in create_connection

for res in getaddrinfo(host, port, 0, SOCK_STREAM):

File “/usr/local/lib/python3.8/socket.py”, line 918, in getaddrinfo

for res in _socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, type, proto, flags):

socket.gaierror: [Errno -2] Name does not resolve

2020-11-07 14:32:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform aarlo.binary_sensor: Unable to set up component.

2020-11-07 14:32:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform aarlo.switch: Unable to set up component.

2020-11-07 14:32:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform aarlo.media_player: Unable to set up component.

2020-11-07 14:32:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform aarlo.light: Unable to set up component.

2020-11-07 14:32:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform aarlo.sensor: Unable to set up component.

2020-11-07 14:32:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform aarlo.alarm_control_panel: Unable to set up component.

2020-11-07 14:32:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform aarlo.camera: Unable to set up component.

Just reads like a wholesale failure of the aarlo module, every time I try it – always looking something like above. What am I missing?

I don’t speak python at all but the error happens when it can’t resolve the name of the server? So think that’s the imap server for your 2fa email? I don’t use that as I got arlo to let me set up an account without 2fa.

1 Like

I just turned 2FA off – let’s find out! LOL. I hope you’re right. Arlo kept saying that 2FA was required, though? So confused.

shakes fist at Arlo, aka Kirk in Star Trek II: " AARLOOOOOOO!"

OMG! OMG! Nobody move, nobody make a sound!

Whatever it is that you just had me do – an Arlo camera has now appeared as a device in my dashboard!

Don’t anybody move, we might scare it away!

Now to configure…? Will update soon!

Okay – so this solution is looking so promising, that I’m going to leave it be for now, because it’s stumped me for two weeks and I have some other things to do…BUT…

As of right now, I have Arlo access I didn’t have before. I’m going to learn how Aarlo REALLY works now, configure it later. But I can’t thank you enough! THANK YOU!

1 Like

I am glad to have helped!

Don’t forget that you’ve just set up with a non 2fa Arlo user - so you might want to figure out why your 2fa isn’t working rather than have a non 2fa user in Arlo. The message in the log was about resolution so I’d start by double checking the hostname of your imap server and then that might be easily fixed.

Good luck with the setup - this is an excellent integration that has worked perfectly for me after I got it setup. Remember you need an admin arlo user for this integration - a restricted user won’t work so well.

1 Like

Got it! Understood. Now, onto figuring out why my Abode Cam doesn’t quite work the way it should, as well as getting my Home Assistant to even FIND my TP-Link Kasa Cam…all of which I’m sure that will be an adventure unto itself!

Well, I’ve got Arlo IN, but the question is open as to whether I can stream my cam in Home Assistant? Does anyone know the answer to that one?

We now interrupt this forum with this important message:

"I got Aarlo to work! I got Aarlo to work!!! Praise Jeebus! I GOT AARLO TO WORK!!! "

You may now return to your previously scheduled home automation programming…

4:13AM/Later addition:

We now interrupt this forum, again, to announce …

“I got Abode Cam to work! I got ABODE CAM TO WORK! Halleju! Will miracles never cease???”

You may now return to your regularly scheduled home automation programming…

1 Like

I came here to update that you can’t stream except by running an action and see that you have just moved it on. Out of interest what was missing - I was thinking about adding something to the Aarlo documentation to help those that stuck as I did.

Did you get a nice streaming solution for Aarlo in the end? It’s just for interest for me as I use Arlo with batteries and can’t use 24/7 streaming?

I am having similar issues with 2FA. I can get it work if I turn 2FA off which is not ideal. Curious to know if you ever got the 2FA working for aarlo. If so how?

1 Like

Im also wondering this. Cant get it to work with 2fa.