How to activate Wink.siren?

I am trying to activate my Wink siren through an alarm automation but don’t know which service to call. The siren displays as wink.siren_strobe. I have tried wink.turn_on and wink.enable_siren but neither work.

Any ideals?

wink.enable_siren is the correct service. You need to pass the enabled parameter though. True for on and False for off.

1 Like

@w1ll1am23 The parameter works but only my strobe lights up, no sound. Anyway to enable it?

What siren do you have?

GoControl siren. Link

Hmm I have the same one and mine doesn’t allow me to turn on just the siren. If you test it with the app does it work?

@w1ll1am23 It appears to be a problem with my siren. Just tried it with the app and it only triggered the strobe.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Maybe the batteries are bad?

I actually have the wired version. I removed it and re added it to Wink and its all back to normal.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Oh, didn’t even know there was a wired version.

Yes! It exists and its awesome!

Cool good to know.

@w1ll1am23 Sorry to review this but didn’t think it was necessary to start a new thread.

Is there any way to activate the siren through a scene? I have tried with:

wink.siren
  state: on

but that doesn’t not work.

Thanks!

I have no idea. It sounds like this can be a learning experience for me. I have never used scenes, not too sure what their purpose is? Can you explain why you would use this verse just using a script? I will try to setup a scene later tonight and see if I can get my siren to work.

My solution was to return the GoControl Siren and buy a Google Home Mini instead. Want a door chime? Set an automation to cast a Chime.mp3 to Google Home. Want a siren? Trigger your Siren.mp3 at Volume 10 via an automation, scene, etc. To me, the GoControl Siren was like buying a crippled GHM that can only make 2 noises.

I am using the alarm component and have various automations that will trigger a scene such as “Motion automation”:

It will run a scene that turns on different light groups to different colors, set booleans state and etc when Motion is detected while away.

If I don’t use a scene, the action part of the automation will be really long since I would have to list each individual light or group. Besides, for my “Door Automation”, I simply use the same scene as I use for motion and so on. I guess in the end is just a matter of keeping things neat.

I see what you are saying, I am saying that same thing can be done in a script though. Then the action section of the automation just turns on the script. Maybe the action sections are the same for scenes and scripts?

so… something like

script:
  do_something:
    sequence:
      - service: wink.enable_siren
        data:
          entity_id: wink.siren
          enabled: True

I never use scripts but that seems a way better way of doing it! I will definitely be trying that today. I don’t think it works for scenes when I tried it.

Thanks!