How to automate Fire Tablet unlock

I’ve noticed both Wallpanel and Fully supports MQTT. I wonder if it would be possible to send a push message or instruction to “wakeup”, not from sleep but from screensaver mode, before the lock screen kicks in. I’ve just successfully removed the adds, but wonder if the FireTablet will still go on lockscreen.

Anyone tried this approach?

Even with ads removed, FireOS still forces the lock screen when the screen wakes up. The best bet is to root the device and flash a custom ROM if you’re able. I rooted and flashed my 8" Fires with LineageOS and they are so much faster and more reliable.

I believe MQTT in Fully Kiosk is informational-only right now, there doesn’t appear to be a way to send commands to Fully over MQTT, but it has a pretty good REST interface, and I started putting together a quick custom component for HA to control Fully over the REST interface: Fully Kiosk Browser Custom Component

if you use Fully, then there is no need to root, remove ads, or flash a rom.

just use fully to avoid the ads.

edit: i got firetabs 7 and 10 as dashboards on my wall, and i never removed ads or screenlocks, or anything. just default firetab.
with fully i avoid that the firetab goes to sleep and locks.
i never see ads, unless i manually restart the devices.

How often did you have to manually restart the devices? I found that mine got painfully slow on FireOS after running for about two weeks. With LineageOS they’ve been much faster and haven’t needed manually rebooted after a couple weeks like they did with FireOS.

i hardly ever restart them manually.
when i restart HA/AD then i automaticly reload fully. thats about it.

mine are never slow, but i use dashboards from HA dashboard.

For anyone that might find this post in the future, you can remove the lockscreen ads and most of amazon bloatware with Fire Toolbox. You can also add Google Playstore and more to it with this.
To disable the lockscreen completely, do the following:

1. Install Activity Launcher from Google Play or APKPure
  2. Open app and scroll down, select Settings and find the activity Settings$ScreenLockSuggestionActivity by doing a search for com.android.settings.password.ScreenLockSuggestionActivity in the toolbar at the top.
  3. In the lock screen settings window, select None.
3 Likes

Had to reboot it after changing the value of device_provisioned.

This is not availabe on my Fire HD8 7th Generation.

Try doing a search for com.android.settings.password
It should be the last option in that list.

I was unable to do this with Activity Launcher on my Kindle Fire 7 2015. The only Lock settings I could find were “Lock Screen Passcode” and “SIM card lock settings”.
Also, com.android.settings.password was not available either.

Anybody here figure out how to automate fire tablet reboot?
I have Fully Kiosk set to launch HA on boot but the video keeps breaking and killing the app doesn’t fix video playback.
Only a reboot fixes the video issue.
I don’t have root access but I haven’t looked into gaining it in a while.

HA (lovelace) and fully have trouble with each other for what i read. (disabling logging seemed to help)

to reboot fully you can send the reboot command from HA. (see fully documentation for the correct API)

1 Like

I can confirm this works brilliantly - if screen never goes fully off, but fully displays a #00000 screensaver, it looks the same - BUT the Amazon lock screen never kicks in. Genius! Turns on when I approach the table (camera sensor detects motion) so tablet can stay dark on the wall until someone approaches - might be too discreet for guests, but I’ll figure out a nice animated screensaver at some point (aka never) - but for internal users, this is about the perfect dedicated wall tablet you could ask for. Great way to reuse tablets and extend their life until screen dies and they hit the landfill. I paid by perpetual license for Fully Kiosk Browser right away.