How to automate my awning (sunscreen)

Thanks, some pretty nice updates! Regarding OpenWeatherMap, I guess you are using the onecall_daily mode to obtain todays ‘forecast_temperature’ ? I was already looking for todays maximum temperature, and reached the conclusion it is not available in the Buienradar Integration. I’ll jump to OpenWeatherMap for this. Nice!

Regarding working from home: same here. But i’ll be installing a physical switch to the wall to control the curtains via Home Assistant (most likely the Philips Hue Switch). I hardly ever control stuff via Lovelace, i like the feel of physical buttons. I’ve replaced all regular switches to Philips Hue V2 switches in my home (i don’t want to think about the € sum of that :rofl:).

With a physical button you might have the same challenge: after what period of time should the automation take over again? I would suggest for the rest of the day, if you don’t want to build in a selection of options.

Good one! I think i can solve that as follows:

• Philips Hue Switch: used for manual control

• When manual control is applied, the automations will stop for the rest of the day. They will become active again at 03:00 early morning

• Another simple Ikea Tradfri Shortcut Button placed next to the Philips Hue Switch. When this button is pressed, the automation will also become active again.

I’ve a similar setup for my heating system: whenever someone is adjusting the temperature manually via the thermostate, the automations will be deactived until the next day. An Ikea Tradfri Shortcut Button can be pressed to start the automations again.

Nice solution, with pictures and all :slight_smile: :+1:

You could also consider assigning an action to double tapping your Philips Hue Switch. E.g. double tap = enable automation(s). This would save you the extra IKEA shortcut button.

You can probably achieve this with ControllerX. There are alternatives for ControllerX (e.g. there might be a blueprint, or you could catch specific events straight from HA), it’s just I’m familiar with ControllerX and it’s excellent.

1 Like

Good thinking! In this case, using a double tap (or using one of the unused buttons of the Hue switch) is indeed much simpeler. No need for a separate switch. :+1:

Someone use openwhetermap forecast ? can give me example, for wind forecast and temp forecast? thank you

Openweathermap is an integration you can simply add from the GUI. It shows 26 entities, among them are sensor.openweathermap_forecast_temperature and sensor.openweathermap_forecast_wind_speed. You can use those sensors in your automation (examples of automations are up in this topic).

Although I would not recommend using a forecasted wind speed for controlling your awning, don’t know how accurate that is.

I know that this is a couple of years later, but FYI I’m using Zwavejs2mqtt and fibaro roller shutter 2 and the local protection works perfectly for me.

The automation action looks like this in yaml (actually used the GUI to make this particular automation).

device_id: f9210bb47acb7d59703538e2053ac219
domain: select
entity_id: select.allrum_awning_local_protection_state
type: select_option
option: NoOperationPossible

Just a heads up that it should work by now.

Can u help me with an automation?

I have sun screens and will have a automation
When it starts raining the screens will go up.

I have a buienalarm sensor with forecast for 15 min.

But how do i make a automation when it starts rain in 1min the screens go up.

Buienradar predicted rain is used as a part of the Awning Urgent Up automation shown here:

Does this give you enough information?

A lot of information thank u.
I’m working in the gui but not understand really automations :see_no_evil:

I need simple auyomation
When it starts rain the blinds go up.

This question starts with a sensor that shows rain the moment it occurs in your location, or rather short before. A weather forecast, even on hour level, may not be accurate enough. In the Netherlands, Buienradar and Buienalarm integrations can do quick predictions. Where you live other integrations may exist.

A personal wetherstation like Netatmo has rain sensors that work with a collector. if a small cup fills up with rain, it toppples over and sends a signal. This is sent to cloud and updates about every five minutes. That may also be late, but better than nothing. Last but not least there are rain sensors that work like the one on your car. They work pretty much instant, but because there are no screen wipers, they may be very late detecting rain has stopped. I do not have one like that, but I included an example what that could look like in the example below too.

All thise sensors will automate about the same, and you can have multiple of those work together. That will look something like this (each trigger reacts on a different source of rain detection, either one will lift the screens). Any sensor you do not have, you can of course remove from the script:

alias: Screens up when rain is detected
description: ''
mode: single
trigger:
  - platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.buienalarm_precipitation
    above: '0'
    entity_id: sensor.buienradar_precipitation
    entity_id: sensor.netatmo_regen_meter
  - platform: state
    entity_id: 
      - sensor.daily_rain_counter
    not_to: 0
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.rainsensor_is_wet
    to: 'on'
condition: []
action:
  - service: cover.open_cover
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id:
        - cover.keukenscherm
        - cover.slaapkamerscherm_links
        - cover.slaapkamerscherm_rechts
        - cover.zolderscherm_links
        - cover.zolderscherm_rechts

Note that for daily_rain_counter, which is a number too, I used “state” and “not_to”. That to illustrate how to handle a sensor that counts rain per day. This trigger captures any new rain, but not the counter resetting to 0. If that was done the same as buienradar (which has the amount of rain for now), it would only detect the first rain of the day.

1 Like

Ok thanks for youre help.
Now i inderstand a little bit.
I will try this.

Can you please explain how you made the zonnescherm card with manual controls?

Hi there,

after browsing the internet for a while, I came across this very interesting thread. I’m trying to automate my awning, and it isn’t quite an easy task. I thought that just by monitoring when the wind speed was higher than a certain value, I could simply close the awning but after a while I come to learn that that specific condition didn’t cut it.

@Emphyrio could you shed some light on how you are using the statistics sensor? I would love to learn from you, as I’m interested in eliminating spikes too. In the past I tried counting to three after initiating that thread, but although this has helped me quite a lot, I still feel it sometimes does not cut it.

Thanks!!!

I just started that (similar) question. Perhaps this is of interest to you as well?

Interesting thread. Thanks for sharing. I will keep monitoring it, as it is still an ongoing discussion.

Is your wind sensor also an RFXCOM?

I have the problem where my backyard is facing east. So when the sun comes up the initial beams of light are too bright on a sunny day that we usually want to block those with the awning.

The problem is detecting this is happening. I have tried many things but nothing seems to work properly.

Until recently I used DarkSky, but since it’s discontinuing I switched to OpenWeatherMap. DarkSky had a pretty reliable cloud forecast. Based on that I could determine if it’s going to be sunny or not. It was not perfect, but it worked 80% of the time.
Now with the switch to OpenWeatherMap, I found that the forecast is very volatility and unusable. Other weather sources like WeatherBit are also unreliable.

I can’t use the irradiation of Buienradar since that would potentially give false positives on cloudy days (if I set the threshold too low). I am fiddling with time and a combination of irradiation so for example if its before 08:00 I check if the value is higher than 75, if it’s between 8 and 9 I check for a value of 225, it it’s later I check for 350. But even if I find the ‘sweet spot’ now, I don’t know how this will work in the spring or in the middle of the summer, since the sunrise time changes with the seasons.

The struggle is real.

I got myself an Aqara light sensor and put that in the windowsill. Is that perhaps an easier solution for your problem?

I am already in the process of testing with a motion sensor. It has the flaw of only reporting the light level when there is motion. But I think you are right and that this is a very nice way to determine if it’s too bright.

I did not know about these stand alone light sensors. I just ordered one. Thanks for the tip!