How to Backup Home Assistant to Google Drive

I saw a few posts about people losing their Home Assistant setup recently so I made a quick video to walk you through how to setup Google Drive Backup. I tried to keep it short and just provide the necessary information to get up and running since the ones I’ve seen are pretty long.

I hope this helps the community. Best of luck!

Setup Home Assistant Google Drive Backup in 3 Minutes!

4 Likes

I use this integration and it is great. Thanks.

1 Like

Moved to the Share your projects category. Community guides operate as a wiki and the first post can be edited by anyone. We cant edit your video if(/when) it becomes out of date.

For those that distrust Google there are other automation methods listed in option 5 here:

https://www.home-assistant.io/common-tasks/os#copying-your-backups-to-another-location

2 Likes

Nice video. It would be good to have a video on how to restore from the Google Drive backup. And to remind folks to periodically test the recovery process to ensure everything works.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I’ll try to make a follow up video with restoring steps and verifying the backup is being saved to the GDrive. Thanks for the tips.

Back-up to something like a NAS or in my case, a raspi4 with a 1tb hdd hanging off of it.
Using this I store an rsync copy and an HA official backups copy. Choices to encrypt it or not.
The rsync copy is not compressed so you can easily pick a single file out of it (like your secrets if you need them to ssh in while you are recovering. Ask my how I know that…) and copy it over if you want.

FYI @ikifar2015

There are many solutions. I just provided one easy one for people starting out that is saved somewhere OTHER than the server itself. I personally, I do snapshots of my VM and store them on NAS. But that could be intimidating for a lot of people. Home Assistant is getting more and more user friendly with its constantly expanding UI configurations, I’m trying to help folks who are just getting their feet wet with it and might not be too tech savvy.

2 Likes

Also, Thanks for sharing that @ikifar2015 repo! He’s got some good stuff!

1 Like

Thanks! I love the pace of your video, perfect for me. I’ve been trying to figure this out for a couple of days! You the man!