How to check what type of HA installation is done

Hi guys.
I know this is a stupid question but I don’t remember what type of installation I made.
My setup is a NUC running Debian that runs home assistant, so if I understand correctly I installed homeassistant supervised ( it is strange to me because I remember it was an easy task to install HA ).
The problem is that after updating home assistant and Debina os I am receiving an error:
Unsupported system - Systemd Journal issue
I tried to run sudo apt-get install --reinstall systemd-journal-remote as described on the help page but this procedure not solved the problem.
Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this and check if I have a supervised installed home assistant?

I don’t know if the problems are correlated but I also have an error in Network Storage :

The operating system does not support network storage
Network storage is not supported on this host.

Seems I have to update os-agent but I would like to receive some hint before broking everything

Home Assistant 2023.6.2
Supervisor 2023.06.2
Frontend 20230608.0 - latest

Thank you all :slight_smile:

settings > system > repairs > menu icon (top right) > System information

5 Likes
Version core-2023.6.2
Installation Type Home Assistant Supervised
Development false
Supervisor true
Docker true
User root
Virtual Environment false
Python Version 3.11.4
Operating System Family Linux
Operating System Version 5.10.0-23-amd64
CPU Architecture x86_64
Timezone Europe/Rome
Configuration Directory /config

So I have a Home assistant supervised with Docker … I really didn’t remember it :slight_smile:
Can you point me to how I can solve my problems without breaking everything? , I made a safe backup btw.

Thank you

https://www.derekseaman.com/2023/04/installing-home-assistant-on-proxmox-quick-start-guide.html

Thank you very much but your suggestion assume that I have to reinstall all the system using proxmox , right?
I would like to use this option as last resort .

I reinstalled AgentOs at the last version 1.5.1 and and ystemd-journal-remote as suggested but I am receiving the same errors:

The operating system does not support network storage
Network storage is not supported on this host

and

Unsupported system - Systemd Journal issues
System is unsupported because Systemd Journal and/or the gateway service is missing, inactive or misconfigured . Use the link to learn more and how to fix this.

Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling Home assistant from scratch?
I run Gdbus introspect and AgentOs seems to me correctly installed

andrea@debian:~$ gdbus introspect --system --dest io.hass.os --object-path /io/hass/os
node /io/hass/os {
 interface org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable {
   methods:
     Introspect(out s out);
   signals:
   properties:
 };
 interface org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties {
   methods:
     Get(in  s interface,
         in  s property,
         out v value);
     GetAll(in  s interface,
            out a{sv} props);
     Set(in  s interface,
         in  s property,
         in  v value);
   signals:
     PropertiesChanged(s interface,
                       a{sv} changed_properties,
                       as invalidates_properties);
   properties:
 };
 interface io.hass.os {
   methods:
   signals:
   properties:
     @org.freedesktop.DBus.Property.EmitsChangedSignal("true")
     readwrite b Diagnostics = false;
     @org.freedesktop.DBus.Property.EmitsChangedSignal("invalidates")
     readonly s Version = '1.5.1';
 };
};
andrea@debian:~$ sudo apt install systemd-journal-remote -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
systemd-journal-remote is already the newest version (247.3-7+deb11u2).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
 docker-scan-plugin libopengl0
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
andrea@debian:~$

I do not support that installation method.

This method is considered advanced and should only be used if one is an expert in managing a Linux operating system, Docker and networking.

https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/blob/b85484512dd8f27338c6ae2ff28e9a7cf78abb2f/adr/0014-home-assistant-supervised.md

https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/linux#install-home-assistant-supervised

Have you read the docs in regards to a HA-Supervised on Debian ? Most likely the initial

is caused by your β€œmanagement” of your Debian, And if your really didn’t remember whether you installed Superviced-on-Debian(or something else), i suggest you go for a more stable installation I.E Homeassistant OS

Yes I now that, but unfortunately I have to run other software on the same machine of HA and the use of virtual machine installation, I installed home assistant os on VMware on window before, gave me a lot of trouble with USB passthrough.

I think I will have to stick with this kind of installation till I will found a way to replace the other software with some HA integration ( weather station mainly)

I have to run other software on the same machine of HA

You must read and follow: https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/blob/b85484512dd8f27338c6ae2ff28e9a7cf78abb2f/adr/0014-home-assistant-supervised.md

• No additional software, outside of the Home Assistant ecosystem, is installed.

Ok, I understand, which installation can suit my need:
Only very superficial knowledge of Linux base system
Intel Nuc based.
Needs to run at least one extra software on this machine used by my weather station ( the software is cumulus and is cross-platform compatible).

At the end, the easiest rout could be to to buy a new weather station supported by Homeassistant and switch to HA os.

What do you think? Thank you all for your time !

I offered my recommendation, the installation instructions are straightforward and easy to understand.
Then head over to https://helper-scripts.com and have a look around.

It’s been a pleasure discussing this topic, but I have to end my participation here.

1 Like

or find a β€œsolution” here

Can Cumulus upload to external home automation servers or other sites that accept weather records?

Yes, there is automatic generation of xAP home automation weather reports, and uploads to external web sites.
    these include: Weather Underground, CWOP/APRS, PSW Weather/WeatherForYou/HAMweather, WOW, Twitter

Can Cumulus upload to a personal web site?

Yes, there are ready-made web template files supplied that can create web pages. Plus all the information that Cumulus outputs is available in web tags that you can incorporate into your own web templates for Cumulus to upload for you as web pages.
    Cumulus (legacy) can only upload by either doing a copy to a web server you host yourself, or via simple file transfer protocol (FTP) to a hosted web server, however few commercial hosting still permits FTP (so you may need to migrate to MX which allows FTPS or SFTP).

Meaning run Cumulus anywhere you want, build a stable/supported version of HA on dedicated device, and use either supported native integration, to β€œimport” the data you need … yes it requires you go through some of all the available options for fetching/importing external data, but it should be fairly simple solution, with above options in mind

PS: And if your in short of hardware, use suggested β€œmethod” by π™©π™©π™šπ™˜π™ π™¨π™©π™šπ™§ above

1 Like

Thank you all for taking the time of helping me!

I understand is very difficult trying to help newbie guys, but thank you for your posts I have now a much clearer idea of what I need to do!

PS: Please move the β€œSolution” tag back to ttecks answer where you first tagged it, if people search on same/similar topics they should see the correct answer, on the Topics " How to check what type of HA installation is done"

How to determine the installation type based on current data using a script?
I see the code:

# Determine installation type on current data
    if info_object["docker"]:
        if info_object["user"] == "root":
            info_object["installation_type"] = "Home Assistant Container"
    elif is_virtual_env():
        info_object["installation_type"] = "Home Assistant Core"

but I can’t find the data.