How to configure HA to use two networks for integrations

Dear HA friends,

I have been using HA for over 2 years and I will be doing so for the coming future. Since I moved houses recently I forced myself to start over with a clean HA installation and put all the experience and knowledge I gained over the years to make it an even better/cleaner and more maintainable system.

One of the thinks I want to do is to have a separate Smart Home wifi network so that these devices do not interfere with my main (Wifi) network. I am using a Deco network to create a Wifi mesh and I am planning to use the configurable guest network as the smart home wifi network.

Up to this point everything is working well. All wifi connected devices connected to the Smart home/guest wifi network, these are a couple of Shellys, thermostat and a dishwasher.

HA is running on a Pi (Soon to be replaced with a HA Yellow PoE) which is connected wired to the main network and via wifi to the guest network.

goal is to have HA be able to detect devices on both networks while I will be connected to the main network.

Up to this point I think I did everything well, the Pi is showing that it is connected to both networks as seen in the image below.

though I am not able to reach HA if I try to reach it via the Smart home network and HA is not able to discover the shellys connected to the smart network. If I connect a shelly to the main network it is discovered in the blink of an eye.

I have tried all configurations, setting up the wifi via Frenck’s SSH and web therminal but with no succes.

How do I tell HA to scan on both connected networks to controllable devices :)?

Hop you can help me out!

Best regards,

Pim

Hi Pim, welcome the the forum.

The idea behind a guest WiFi network is to isolate clients from the main network and each-other.
I’m not using a guest network and don’t know if this can be altered in your setup.

I don’t see a real/much benefit from what you are doing because these devices still use the same frequency as before.
I think a better way would be to use VLAN’s

I have a similar environment to you. In the deco app, unless you select “Isolated from Main Network”, both the main and guest will be on the same network. Therefore you don’t need to have both connected in HA - only the main network, which I assume is your wired ethernet. I connect all of my IoT devices to the guest network, which I have set to 2.4GHz only.

Having said that, the deco app is pretty crappy and doesn’t show you what channel is being used, or allow you to set it. I use Wifi Explorer on Mac, and it shows the 2.4GHz frequency of both main and guest networks is using the same channel, which is just dumb. There’s a “network optimization” option, which always says “to be optimized”. After omptimization it always says “perfect” and moves the 5GHz frequency to a different channel, but always seems to leave the two 2.4GHz frequencies on the same channel. If I do the same thing again, I get the same result. So I suspect no matter how hard you try, you’re not going to achieve what you want with deco.

Did you find a solution? im doing this as well. in deco i think its 940 or 941 or similar that is the vlan for guestnetwork i had some problems because i have som managed switches. but fixed this - though - i would like to access my home assistant on the main network - even if its connected to the iot .