How to configure NUT?

Post removed - solution found via Mastodon.

Iā€™m looking for power consumption through NUT but I donā€™t see it in my list of parameters (disabled or otherwise). Is that something that depends on what my UPS make/model has made available and nothing to do with NUT?

@j3tang I also do not have current power sensor but I do have following sensors:
Load: 11%
Nominal Real Power: 960 W

Shooting from the hip, I am guessing my current draw is 11% x 960W. I would have to double check my UPS directly as it is hidden away.

Confirmed here as well the only way it works for me too.

rpi3 here usb to APC backups unit. Add-on powered and same integration issues. Using the container hostnamedworked.

My log indicatesā€¦

[17:46:39] INFO: Starting the UPS driversā€¦
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.47 (2.8.0)
libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: no USB buses found
No matching HID UPS found

I have HASSIO installed on a Hyper-V VM. I know I canā€™t easily pass-thru USB, so I assume this is the problem. If I had a different hypervisor that allowed USB pass-thru, would that solve this issue, or is there another workaround?

Iā€™m running the Nut HAOS add-on. The integration appears to be working fine Iā€™ve tested power fail notification and HA shutdown. How do I access the Nut server command line? Iā€™m running a HAOS on Yellow. I want to set the beeper to disabled on my APC

Iā€™ve just bought an Eaton 3S 700 from Amazon on Prime day. Got it plumbed in to my HA running generic x86-64 on a HP thin client. Connected the USB lead to the thin client and tried to install the Network UPS Tools (NUT). It comes up with the config screen but I canā€™t get passed it. Not really sure what it is asking for. Reading above I infer i enter a new username and password for accessing the UPS itself. or is for accessing the integration? As for the host Iā€™ve left it as localhost and also tried a0d7b954-nut. The port Iā€™ve left as 3493. Nothing gets me any further.
Any help appreciated.

Im not sure what it you are referencing.

Plumbed into HA. (om direct connected by USB?)

How did you install HA? HAOS? Other?

Is your nut a standalone nut install on a Pi or something similar or are you referring to the NUT addon for HAOS?

So letā€™s start at plumbed in. What did you do next?

Thanks.
Iā€™ve got an HP t630 thin client with Generic x86-64 installed as per Generic x86-64 - Home Assistant. It has the HAOS. Iā€™ve got a number of devices in USB ports (ie. Sonoff Zigbee dongle, a KlimalogPro dongle reading temperatre sensors, an Arduino nano sending giegercounter data, a bluetooth dongle (not using that for anything) and a Sonoff RF hub connecting to motion sensors) These are all working fine.
By plumbing in, I mean itā€™s now powered through the Eaton S3 UPS, and the UPS is connected to the last USB port on the thin client.
I donā€™t have a stand alone NUT. I just have the UPS connected to HA as above.
When I try to add the ā€œNetwork UPS Tool (NUT)ā€ Integration, I get the ā€œConnect to the NUT Serverā€ dialogue which asks for Host, Port, Username and Password. I assumed the server was part of my Eaton UPS box!
Have I totally misunderstood? Should I have a separate UPS/NUT server running on a Pi or something?

Edit. Iā€™ve just seen that the ā€œNetwork UP Tool (UPS)ā€ is available as and ā€œAdd-onā€ as well as an ā€œIntegrationā€. Should I install both? One before the other? just one of them?

Install the Addon - itā€™s the server thats actually connecting to the UPS. In the Configuration section for the Add-on you will create the username/password youā€™re looking for.

Then you setup the Integration - using a0d7b954-nut as the host (so it can connect to the Add-on) and leave the port as default.

1 Like

Thanks Nathan. That did the trick. The add-on documentation tells you to load the integration afterwards, but the integration docs donā€™t mention the ad-on!

1 Like

Hey guys - I have the Nut integration installed and it seems to be successfully communicating with my nut server. I can see all the entities, and associated data, but canā€™t figure out how to send commands to the UPS (my goal is to periodically run a self-test, then get alerted if it fails). However, I canā€™t figure out where to do that. I believe I would go to Services, but I see nothing in that list related to NUT or a UPS. Any help would be appreciated!

Ever figure this out? Just got my UPS today and canā€™t seem to find these.

You need to install the NUT server add-on and then the NUT integration.
Read those documents closely. It skips that you need the add-on first.