How to create a Zigbee Mesh (or is it created for you automatically?)

Hi,

I want to know how zigbee mesh maps are created.

When I connect zigbee devices for the first time by zigbee2mqtt, I have the option to connect the end device by “permit join all” or join through an existing zigbee router.

So if I join through “all” does that mean the zigbee end device will route automatically through the best router onto the coordinator?

Or if I join through a permit join only through a router when joining the network, then the device is connected to the coordinator by that specific router. But what happens if that router disconnects for any reason. Will the end device route back to the coordinator by an another available router?

Feel free to point me towards any existing explanations on the forms or the Web. Im sure someone would have asked this before.

Thanks!

It depends on the end device. Some pick the best. Some pick the first router they see.

Again it depends on the end device. Aqara sensors do not re-route. My door locks do.

As tom said, it depends on the device.

• Zigbee 3.0 - should re-route as they see fit
  • Xiaomi Zigbee 1.2 - will almost never re-route
  • Other brands Zigbee 1.2 - varies

It’s also important to know that Xiaomi devices will join via the first device they hear from, regardless of signal strength. This means that for them it’s critical to use the option to join via a router you know is nearby.

Its so helpful that you mentioned that about xiaomi devices.

I have a few and I’ve experienced problem with them disconnecting. So I’ll add them again via the nearest router.

So as for the the whole mesh process, it’s fairly created on its own? Do zigbee 3 devices find their own path to the coordinator. Or is it better to add them via routers (lets say in terms of coordinator being on ground floor and the device on 2nd floor. So you should the device via router on 1st floor?)

Thanks again

Yes

Usually, yes. Though I’m sure there’s going to be some that don’t.

There should be no harm in doing that. Pick the router that’s nearest, with the least obstructions (walls, etc)

1 Like