How to define an unsupported device starting with a fresh Home Assistant install !?

I am new in the Home Assistant world, installed Home Assistant and tried to connect some devices. No problem for some supported devices, but not for my NOUS E6 Thermometer and Humidity sensor.

Others do have that problem as well see [Device Support Request] NOUS E6 TS0601 _TZE200_nnrfa68v · Issue #1702 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub and do have solved it at least to some extend.

However that is where this problem starts:

• I have a fresh Home Assistant installation
  • and I really have no idea which steps I need to take (and how)
  • to include, use and setup the findings as described on the git page

My feeling is that I first have to install and configure all kind of things before I can install and use the github code from the example. But perhaps / hopefully I am wrong.

Can someone give me a hand / explain what exactly to do starting from a fresh Home Assistant install !?

I just received a mail saying that
In order to install the quirk manually you need to create the “quirks” sub-directory in your HomeConfig directory. Then in “quirks” dir create a file, say “nous_e6.py”, and paste the quirk. Save the file. Restart HA.

But perhaps very stupid, but I really have no idea how to dot that from the GUI.

I would appreciate,

Louis

After some help and a lot of investigation I finally have the device working. However a lot of steps where needed.
So for every body new like me, I describe the steps below.

Preparations

• make sure that the computer you use does reboot after a power outage
  • take care in your dhcp server that home assistant gets every time the same IP-address
  • you should have a ssh-client installed on your (windows) computer e.g. Bitvise SSH client

After a fresh Home Assistant install take the following actions:

1. Advanced Configuration htt_ps://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/configuration/
    go to you personal user settings at the left botum of the screen
    homeassistend-ip:8123/profile
    Advanced Mode => ON (required for more advanced actions like this one)
  • Advice: make sure that the user has only access from the local network !!
  1. install the ^file editor^ and the ^terminal / SSH^ app
  • settings
  • add-ons
  • add File editor and set it to be added to the sidebar (auto update and boot on probably), start it
  • add Terminal & SSH (DO NOT USE SSH & WEB-terminal, it did not work!)
    and set it to be added to the sidebar (auto update and boot on probably), start it
  • click on the Terminal & SSH add-on and configure the SSH-server (configuration)
  1. Go to the page where the code / info is related to the ^not yet supported device"
  1. Connect with SSH
  • connect to Home Assistant using the SSH-client
  • goto /config/
  • create a sub-directory “/config/zah_quirks/”
  • copy “nous_e6.py” from your pc to that directory
  1. Make the “quirks” directory kown to the main configfile
  • Add guide for adding a custom quirk to ZHA #23884 htt_ps://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/23884/files#diff-f6bd4d42fd2565238968333a466474a25384fb4eecddc0235902e5ff5e798c8dR422-R435
  • there is an error tn that webpage. The configfile is NOT “config.yaml” BUT “configuration.yaml”
  • start the file editor and open via the folder symbol on top “/config/configuration.yaml”
  • add at the botum
    zha:
    custom_quirks_path: /config/zha_quirks/
  • safe
  1. Goto Developerstotools (sidebar)
  • check configuration
  • if ok “restart”
  1. The device should be recognised now
  • and can be edited
  • and placed on your dashboard
  • however … I had to remove and place the battery of the device … before it “worked”
  1. Some further parameter tuning is needed but at this moment I do not yet know how
  • has to do with options related to “Manage Zigbee Device and cluster settings” Really no idea yet :weary:

Hope this helps some one :grinning:

1 Like