How to distinguish between heatpump modes

I have a heatpump with 3 heating modes. heating | aux heating | em heating

When I look at my thermostat in ZaveJsUI, I can see one of those 3 modes being reported.

However, When I ask for the state in a script or template I only receive Heating no matter what the type of heating is being used. I’d like to track how often I’m using aux heating vs regular heating. Is there a way to do this?

Here what the thermostat is reporting in Developer Tools > States

hvac_modes:
  - 'off'
  - heat
  - cool
  - heat_cool
min_temp: 44.6
max_temp: 95
fan_modes:
  - Auto low
  - Low
  - Circulation
preset_modes:
  - none
  - Auxiliary
  - Furnace
current_temperature: 71
temperature: null
target_temp_high: 76
target_temp_low: 71
current_humidity: 40
fan_mode: Circulation
hvac_action: Heating
preset_mode: none
fan_state: Low
friendly_name: Thermostat
supported_features: 27

Those are your heating modes.

I don’t believe that is the case here. That value only changes if I manually put the heatpump in emergency mode. It doesn’t change when the system detects it needs to supplement the heatpump with the auxillary source.

edit
A better way to describe that would be:

preset_modes:
  - none  // 'auto' set on thermostat
  - Auxiliary // `emergency mode` set
  - Furnace // `heat` set

Then that command class (operating state 2-66-0) isn’t supported for your device in home assistant.

I’m sorry, I’m not being clear. Home assistant does appear to support 2-66-0, but it groups all heating modes under ‘heating’ instead of reporting them individually. Is this how it should work or is there something I can change to make it more granular?

I just looked up command class 66 and it is supported, it translates into the hvac_action attribute. There is no way to change this list manually, what you get is what you get.

thanks :slight_smile: Do you mind sharing where you looked that up so that I don’t have to ask in the future?

It’s… complicated. If you want to look up your specific device you can check it out here

https://devices.zwave-js.io/

otherwise you’ll have to look at the code.

Base command classes usually don’t show up in the device lists.

1 Like