How to do conditional actions based on multiple conditions (calendar content)

hey all, first time post, so this is a difficult one. I have an issue. Short explanation:
i want my window blinds to open at 7:40 ONLY on workdays, but not in the weekend public holidays or when i’m on holiday. I had it working with the ‘workday’ integration, however updating confuration.yaml every time we take an extra day off, is not nice. So i thought: Let’s just add my google calendar. If i put some sort of holiday in there, it should also NOT open my curtains at 7:40. However, i can’t get this to work as expected. I’ve checked many posts, but nothing seems to solve my problem. Here’s the automation i’ve created:

alias: Rolgordijn slaapkamer om 7:40 werkdagen
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: "07:40:00"
condition:
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: template
        value_template: >-
          {{ 'vakantie' in state_attr('calendar.mycalendar_hotmail_com',
          'message') }}
      - condition: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.workday_sensor
        state: "on"
action:
  - device_id: 2227a42488aff6919d3910d84469965f
    domain: cover
    entity_id: cover.rolgordijn_kamer
    type: set_position
    position: 100
mode: single

any guidance on where my brain is failing on me and what i’m doing wrong?

The state and attributes of a calendar entity relate to the next (or current) event. So, you need to check if the event held in the entity is for the current day.

There is an attribute that provides the date and time of the event.

Have a look here.

It’s not guaranteed and that’s why one shouldn’t use a calendar’s attributes in conditions.

For example, the calendar’s attributes may not report the next/current event if there are two concurrently scheduled events or if there’s an All Day event.

It’s recommended to rely on Calendar Trigger.

OK, so am i getting it right in saying: I should use the calendar trigger to “set a holiday” boolean based on whether or not i have a holiday that day and use THAT one in a condition for my blinds?
and manually setting the “workday” state does seem like a bad idea because it will probably be overwritten at some point and probably won’t work for multiple day holidays… (right?)

I think the idea for seeing the Boolean is a good idea to try.

The workday sensor works well. Don’t discount this.

update on my progress… i dediced indeed it’s better to create a boolean value with a button toggle on my homescreen to possibly do it manually if i want to. I then created an automation to also automagically set it through my calendar events. I hope this works… anyone any clues on how to “fast” test this?:

alias: Set holiday based on calendar
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: calendar
    event: start
    entity_id: calendar.mycalendar
  - platform: calendar
    event: end
    entity_id: calendar.mycalendar
condition:
    value_template: "{{ 'vakantie' in trigger.calendar_event.summary }}"
action:
  - if:
        value_template: "{{ trigger.event == 'start' }}"
    then:
      - service: input_boolean.turn_on
        data: {}
        target:
          entity_id: input_boolean.holiday
    else:
      - service: input_boolean.turn_off
        data: {}
        target:
          entity_id: input_boolean.holiday
mode: single

I won’t… Its workday for ‘normal’ weekends and public holidays and a boolean to set holidays outside of that

For some reason it does NOT trigger… Ever.
Anybody can guide me to a solution? How can I debug?