How to downgrade any supervisor addon

Small pro-tip if you had enabled auto update and not created any backup for specific add-on.
In general - supervisor add-ons are just docker containers – you can easy cheat it.
Main issue here, to be sure, that there were no any configuration changes done. (It’s happens, but not so often. )

Basic example - ESPHome

1. Stop add-on and disable autostart/watchdog
  2. Open terminal
  3. Check what is the latest version of used container docker images
  4. Download needed version docker pull esphome/esphome-hassio-aarch64:1.19.4
  5. Delete version what is used by add-on docker rmi esphome/esphome-hassio-aarch64:2021.10.2
  6. Re-tag downloaded version with deleted docker tag esphome/esphome-hassio-aarch64:1.19.4 esphome/esphome-hassio-aarch64:2021.10.2
  7. Start add-on.

Thats all. You can easy manipulate with versions.

5 Likes

In the addon container?

Yes.
Or you can use Portainer if you scared of console

While this might work, you should not do it.
It is not just configuration that might change between versions, the internal data of the add on can also change.
The correct way to do this is to do a partial restore of the add-on from a backup created by the supervisor.

2 Likes

I had no backups created, so just found a sideway solution, that works.

Hey @zuzuman - thanks for this handy guide! Worked a treat and handled an issue I had with an add-on that updated and promptly broke all existing functionality. This solution had me up and running straight away, zero hassles.

In response to “this might work” - what won’t work is doing nothing, which is the alternative option provided by Home Assistant. I’m glad I took my chances on might work over absolutely will not work.

1 Like

The alternative option provided by Home Assistant is that everywhere you update addons HA defaults to taking a partial backup of that addon first. You have to go out of your way to not have a backup.

If you somehow don’t have a backup then it’s good that this guide exists as an emergency plan b. Because as you said something that may work is better then something that definitely doesn’t work. But plan a should be to not uncheck the “take a backup” box so you avoid this situation to begin with.