How to enable and use FritzBox Tools Parental Control?

Hi there,
I am currently working on an automation for studying. It sets the volume, starts music, sets the light and I want it to activate an Internet Filter Blacklist on my FritzBox Router, so that I can’t access Youtube/Reddit etc.

The Original FritzBox Tools documentation states, that I have to add the names to “profile_list”.
The current official Fritz Box Tools Doc says, that Parental Control Switches “are disabled by default. You need to enable the wanted entities manually.”

I do not find the disabled Entities, nor do I find a different solution. What am I missing?

How do I activate the “Study” Profile (“Zugangsprofil”) for a specific device in an Automation?

Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I found my problem. It does not activate specific Parental controls as I thought. It simply turns off internet entirely for a device. :confused:

But at least I know what the problem has been. :slight_smile:

I also would love to switch profiles via automation (specifically my block youtube profile ;-D). Did you find a way to do this?

I think a device can only be assigned to one profile at a time. So it would be ideal to have a profile select list entity for each device. If this is not possible, we could make a feature request. :slight_smile:

Hi, unfortunately I never figured it out. I talked to the developer of the integration and apparently it doesn’t work. I don’t understand, since It’s been a feature in a previous version according to screenshots.

You can read a bit of the thread I had on github if that helps you, but unfortunately it never worked for me. Currently I’m working on a new server and want to use Adguard instead for this :slight_smile:

FRITZ!Box Tools won’t show me profiles to switch · Issue #76014 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

1 Like

I was looking for this functionality as well and didn’t find anything which worked in HA, so I’ve create a small custom component for setting the device profiles myself. Effectively it remote-controls the FRITZ!Box frontend, but as of now this is the only way to select an access profile for a given device (it’s neither exposed in the HTTP-REST-API nor via TR-046) and for me it get’s the job done.

Feel free to check it out: GitHub - mithomas/ha-fritzprofiles: Switch your FRITZ!Box device access profiles from Home Assistant.

@mib1185: Maybe you could link that to the issues FRITZ!Box Tools won't show me profiles to switch · Issue #76014 · home-assistant/core · GitHub and More information about Profile Switches needed · Issue #23590 · home-assistant/home-assistant.io · GitHub ? Those were the ones I came across when I was looking for this functionality, maybe others do too and they are locked to contributors so I can’t comment myself.

Hi there @mithomas
I can’t believe there is finally a great option for this. It works great, thank you very much! Great job, really. This makes me a lot more productive during the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

as per ADR (Architecture Decision Record) 004 webscraping is not allowed for HA core integrations.

Hey @mib1185! Yes, I know and I also understand the reasons for that.

What I meant is: Maybe you could comment on those issues (FRITZ!Box Tools won't show me profiles to switch · Issue #76014 · home-assistant/core · GitHub and More information about Profile Switches needed · Issue #23590 · home-assistant/home-assistant.io · GitHub) along the lines “This won’t happen in our integration, but if you really want this, check out this custom integration: GitHub - mithomas/ha-fritzprofiles: Switch your FRITZ!Box device access profiles from Home Assistant.

(Sorry for being unclear on this.) It might help folks who look for this functionality in your integration - I know I did. As I said, I would comment myself but since the issue is locked I am not allowed to do so.