How to enable the right OTGW entities after issue 43352?

With https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/43352 (released 2021.1) all OTGW entities where recreated, most of them twice.
Partly I understand this, partly not: Why should there be a boiler_starts counter from the termostat? for example, but ok.

My problem is that I now have 196 disabled entities in my OTGW device, and I cannot find the easiest way how to enable the right ones…
Options I thought about:

1. Manually enable all entites and see which ones have interesting values for my system.
  2. Wait till all old ones diappear with a new release, and then see how to solve the problem.
  3. look if there is a way to enable them in the json config files (automated) or is there a better way?

All help would be appreciated!

@mvn23 @martinhjelmare do you have any hints?

The most straightforward way to re-enable the right entities in my opinion is the following.

• Go to Configuration and select Entities
  • Type OpenTherm in the search bar and click Show All
  • Find any entities that were enabled before the change (they should still be there and enabled)
  • Choose the right source for this entity in the newly created entities and enable only that entity, e.g. for binary_sensor.slave_flame_on_living I could enable binary_sensor.slave_flame_on_boiler_living to get the information from the boiler side of the OpenTherm Gateway
  • Disable the old entities to have them removed at the next Home Assistant start
  • Update any automations and scripts etc. that use the entities

As for why there should be a boiler_starts on the thermostat side, this is mostly for completeness’ sake. In the case of the boiler_starts sensor it is indeed not very useful, but for other entities it has fixed bugs when using an override on the OpenTherm Gateway. Either way, by keeping them disabled there should be next to no impact on the user experience and performance.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I’ll see how to do this, this is quite a lot of work :slightly_frowning_face:
Hope you can keep this stable after this change…
Thanks anyway, I appreciate the way you guys are making HA better and better everytime!

All entities that are created now should remain the same in the foreseeable future. This was also part of the consideration when deciding to double all entities, not just the ones that were causing trouble. If anything changes on the gateway side in the future, we now have already split up the entities between the different data sources so we should not have to break anything again later on.
I am aware that it is inconvenient now for people who have enabled a lot of sensors, but in return we are more future-proof and we now have more fine-grained control over the data that is displayed in Home Assistant.

1 Like

Thanks to your explanaition I found all the new sensors except for one:
binary_sensor.slave_ch_active_1
Which shows the activity of Central Heating in the boiler.
Is this one no longer available?

The _1 suffix may be the result of an earlier conflict between entity ids. The correct entity for this data should be binary_sensor.slave_ch_active_<source>_<gw_id>.

1 Like

Thanks! Found it! :slight_smile: