How to extract the 'Energy' calculation for 'Today' (as seen on the Energy usage page)

Hello all,

I’m looking for a little help please.

I have setup some very basic energy monitoring (using the Home Assistant Glow device).
My Glow sensor is named ‘house’.

Using ‘sensor.house_power_consumption’, I can access the current power consumption, or
Using ‘sensor.house_total_energy’, I can access the total consumption (since the ESP device was booted).

However, under the Energy tab, HomeAssistant is doing some calculation to display the total energy used for an individual day. Highlighted in the screenshot.

My question is: How can I access this value (seen as 6.58KWh in the screenshot)?
I would like to access the current value for ‘today’ and check what it is, for automations, etc.

If I can’t access the value directly, perhaps I could re-create it with my own calculation? But I don’t know where to start with this.

I’m a relative novice to Home Assistant. So please go easy if I’ve missed something obvious.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I have the same need, but not sure where to get this value. Please help

Have you looked at Utility Meter under Helper. It helps when you have entities that have a number just grow, it create a cycle

Here are mine

4 Likes

That’s great. Thanks.

So I guess that there is no way to access the value directly. But with the Utility Meter Helper, we can come close to re-creating it.
I say ‘close’, because I’m not quite sure where the discrepancy comes in, but for me, it’s not 1:1 with the value seen in the Energy Dashboard.

However, it’s very close and I can’t say which one is right and which one is wrong. So I still really appreciate the tip :+1:

2 Likes

Is this still the status quo and way to work, that means to e.g. add 4 helpers for each entity to have the day, week, month and year view as the energy panel is providing directly? Would be more than great to avoid creating these 150 helper and select it directly via “virtual” entities or something else.

Something like sensor.aktor_energy_counter:today or sensor.buro_aktor_energy_counter:thisweek

5 Likes

I also need this (today, yesterday, last week etc) and find it very surprising that HA does not offer this natively. Not even a third-party solution seems to be easy…

Totaly agree! The value is there somewhere because you can view it in the energy dashboard so its very surprising there is no way to access these values as entities somewhere…