How to find my username when logged in

I was having problems logging in from a new device because HA is not clear about the difference between the username and the display name. I eventually found my username in /var/snap/home-assistant-snap/current/.storage/auth after logging into the server. I’m sure it should be easier to find but I couldn’t see anything in settings->people. Where is it listed?

Click the Users tab at the bottom when you’re on the people page. It actually took me a few minutes to find this, as I didn’t notice the bottom tabs myself the first couple of times. Ha

There’s nothing marked ‘Users’ on that page. I tried ctrl-F search but nothing found.

Yes there is

Is this a recent addition? I’m running 2023.04.06.

No. Not really.

You have to turn on admin and advanced on your account.

1 Like

This is a good point, maybe a FR is in order?

The display name and icon is already shown on the left navigation pane. Users can click on it to see and change account information, but no-where is the user ID shown on that page. It seems like a logical place to display it. Shouldn’t take much effort.

I only use one account right now, so it hasn’t really been an issue for me. But hey, this is so simple and sensible that I’d vote for it.

Funny thing is, it shows your username in the lower corner, not your person name. So…

Now you’ve got my curiosity up. All I see in the lower-left corner (full desktop browser) is what shows up under the column “display name” on the settings/people/users page. What am I missing?

Again, I only use the one account, so it’s not an issue for me. I’m just thinking of others who might stumble onto this thread.

Your current logged in user only displays the user name on the main navigation bar.

And non-administrators should not have users that see that information, which is why it’s the way it is.

Sorry, I must be really dense today. I changed my “display name” to “Display Name” and reloaded the page. Is this the “main navigation bar” you speak of?

Note that it’s showing “Display Name” and not my user ID. I feel like I must be misunderstanding something really obvious here.

Yes, by default when you create your accounts, allow user to log in mirriors your person name and user name. They are the same. Then it displays the user name which is the user ID. If you change that at any time(OP couldn’t have) then it’s displaying your user ID.

1 Like

what an irritating oversight. it’s all “simple, easy” blah blah. write proper instructions geez.

You joined the forum just to post something negative. Good on ya mate.