How to get access to running Home Assistant log output

This is probably very easy, but I cant seem to find out how to do it…

I want access to see what events are being triggered etc so that I can see what buttons are being pressed etc in Home Assistant. I have installed my HA using the all in one installer on a Raspberry Pi 3. All I can find is the regular logs and they just show what is wrong with the configuration, not the running events happening in the system.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

If you are accessing the pi from a windows machine using puttey, you can see the running log with
tail -f /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/homeassistant.log in a console window.

Sounds like you’re after the console logs. Those depend on how you start HA - for instance if you’re using systemd then you use the journalctl command to view them.

Not sure how I start HA, it boots automatically after installing it with the All in one installer. My goal is to see what the output is when I push a button on my Enocean switch or z-wave switch.

It looks like journalctl is exactly what I am looking for. But when I run the command journalctl -fu home-assistant I just get the error message that “No journal files were found.”

I have tried it with different users and also running it under the homeassistant user. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

I remembered seeing this post today after nervously upgrading to 0.39 and waiting for what seemed too long. It let me watch things as they happened.

If you’re on an older AIO like me it might be user hass rather than homeassistant so

$ sudo su -s /bin/bash hass
$ source /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/activate
$ hass

If you used the AIO installer, then it’s journalctl. If HA is running, then journalctl -f -u home-assistant should work. If it doesn’t then you may need to restart HA (systemctl restart home-assistant) to get a fresh log.

In both cases run with sudo or as root.

Thanks! that solved it :slight_smile: