How to get Google Assistant to read my outdoor temperature?

How should I name my outdoor temperature sensor so that I can ask Google about the temperature outside without having to say “temperature” before the sensor name?

This is what I’ve added to the configuration file for the google_assistant integration (translate from Swedish so perhaps the phrasing is off :slight_smile: ):

sensor.weather_temperature:
    name: temperature outdoors
    room: Outside
    aliases:
        - temperature outside
        - temperature
        - what's the temperature
        - what's the temperature outside
        - how hot is it outside
        - how cold is it outside

I want to be able to ask Google simple phrases such as:

• “Hey Google, what’s the temperature outside?”
  • “Hey Google, what’s the temperature?”
  • “Hey Google, how hot is it outside?”
  • “Hey Google, how cold is it outside?”

And have Google answer me with the value from my sensor. But whenever I ask the question above, Google will either explain to me what temperature is from wikipedia, or it will tell me a generic temperature in my city from some online weather service instead of using the sensor.

I need to say “Hey Google, what’s the temperature {alias}?” which means that I need to say this to get it to read me my sensor value:

• “Hey Google, what’s the temperature what’s the temperature outside?”
  • “Hey Google, what’s the temperature what’s the temperature?”
  • “Hey Google, what’s the temperature how hot is it outside?”
  • “Hey Google, what’s the temperature how cold is it outside?”

How can I get it to read me the sensor value just by saying “Hey Google, who cold is it outside?”. Perhaps it’s possible using Google routines, but I don’t want to set up a bunch of routines for all members of the family. :confused:

I am having exactly the same fight with google integration and have not yet found an answer. I would love to know if you have solved this?

No, not a solution where I can ask exactly what I want in a human understandable way, but the wording appears to be:

For a specific sensor:

• “Hey Google, what’s the temperature {sensor_name} in {room_name}?”

For all sensors in the room:

• “Hey Google, what’s the temperature in {room_name}?”

The important thing is to ask for the temperature and end with "in {room_name}" which make the wording kind of odd and restricts what you name your room and how you ask your question.

Right now I’ve named my sensors:

sensor.weather_temperature:
    name: outside in the shadow
    room: the shadow
    aliases:
        - how cold is it outside

sensor.weather_wind_chill:
    name: with wind chill
    room: the wind

So I can ask (loosely translated):

• “Hey Google, what’s the temperature in the shadow?”

• “The outside in the shadow temperature is currently 20,8 degrees.”

• “Hey Google, what’s the temperature in the wind?”

• "The with wind chill temperature is currently 19,9 degrees. "

I would like to be able to use the alias of the sensor directly without specifying the room, but I haven’t figured out how I should phrase it or if it’s even possible.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this could help, but maybe you (or we) can find a similar solution for you:

You can create routines (correctly translated from German “Abläufe”?) within Google-Assitant-App to get Google doing specific things for whatever you say.
→ Google Assistant settings → routines

For example:

• I say “Hey Google, where is my wife?” (or son, …)
  • Google will call a HA-script
  • I will get a answer like “She is in the car and will be at home in arround 14 minutes.”

Well, this doesn’t work within the Assistant app. But it works very well with my Google home speakers.

I think I’ve already tested Google Assistant Routines but for when I wanted to run a HomeAssistant script through Google Assistant but I didn’t want to say the full required command with the leading "activate" or whatever you’re supposed to say.

The downside, at least for me, was that the routine was only available for me and my voice personally. If anyone else in the household tried to say the same thing Google Assistant didn’t register it at all.

Not sure if you’ve experienced something similar, that the routines are only available to the one who set it up?

You don’t have to say “activate” to use routines. You can choose as many different phrases for routine-start as you want. “Hey Google, tell me the garde temperature” and “Hey Google, tell me the temperature outside” can run the same routine/HA-script.

The problem with house hold members is true. I set up the same routines for me and my wife (both accounts). Our son can’t even speak now :slight_smile:

The bigger problem for me was, that HA-scripts are only exposed to my own Google account. I was not able to set up the same routines for my wife. For that I had to create switches in HA called “zz_script_abc…” which are in our fantasy-room “zz_scripts”. This switches will run the scripts within HA.
It’s a stupid and boring work but in the end it was the only solution for me (at the moment).

Hey, Andreas,
Can you give more details on your script to achieve this?

For example, I thought of using a TTS service, but I don’t want to specify a fixed speaker, as it should answer from whichever device the Google Assistant is being triggered.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Try this one:

I’m currently switching to Alexa, because making Google talk to you via HA is a pain in the a**.