How to get the Green Bar to show?

It generally is very easy. It would seem you have network issues due to IP addresses etc not matching up.

Something to try:

1. Download an app on your phone called ‘Fing’ and whilst yuor phone /tablet is connected to your wifi, run a network scan using Fing.
  2. Using the results of the scan, tell us what IP addresses you see so we know exactly what subnet you are running and also the gateway IP.

ESP32:

• IP Address is 192.168.86.200

Network:

• Netmask is 192.168.86.0/24
  • Gateway is 12.168.86.1
  • DNS is 192.168.86.1

Ok, and the code you currently have on the ESP is as per post #1 ?

Add:

web_server:

to the code and re-flash it.

Then in a browser go to 192.168.86.200 and see what happens

It is for me, but I use DHCP for all of my nodes.
It looks to me that you have alternately used three different IP addresses for your router… Seriously, remove all of the static IP lines and see if it connects using DHCP. Or better yet, start over with a new device yaml file. Name it “test”. if all you do is change the WiFi credentials, it should connect.

Ok. I allowed it to grab an IP address. It’s now 192.168.86.129. From the command prompt I can do telnet 192.168.86.129 6053 and it connects. Ultimately, it doesn’t connect in ESPHome.

I then added web_server and I can go to that address in a browser.
test

Do I need to install something else in HA? I must be missing something simple, no?

Out of curiosity, what URL do you use to connect your browser to Home Assistant?

Click on logs on the node in esphome, does that show the logs ? If so, and the only issue is the bar not going green is it to do with mdns ? I had this issue as my esphome nodes are on a different vlan than HA and had to enable the ping option in esphome

http://192.168.1.131:8123/

But ultimately, I use duckdns.

After clicking on LOGS I get:

INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/test.yaml...
INFO Starting log output from test.local using esphome API
WARNING Error resolving IP address of test.local. Is it connected to WiFi?
WARNING (If this error persists, please set a static IP address: https://esphome.io/components/wifi.html#manual-ips)
WARNING Initial connection failed. The ESP might not be connected to WiFi yet (Error resolving IP address: Error resolving address with mDNS: Did not respond. Maybe the device is offline., [Errno -5] No address associated with hostname). Re-Trying in 1 seconds

Connecting wireless to LOGS is my only choice, which it doesn’t do.

My router is on 192.168.1.1 but my Google Nest is on 192.168.86.1. I’m guessing that is an issue? I’ve tried adding “status_use_ping”: true to the ESPHome Configuration but that didn’t help. Not sure if that’s what you are talking about.

Well, I think this is your problem. 192.168.86.129 and 192.168.1.131 are different local networks. Do you have more than one DHCP server? It’s normally done by the router. Why are you trying to connect to the Nest IP??

In the future, please use the quote feature to let others know what post you are responding to. A string of unrelated replies with no reference is just confusing.

The Nest is for Wifi and is connected to my router, which is connected to my modem. So anything Wifi is connected to the Nest, and LAN is through the router.

Is there a way to make it work with my setup?

The Nest itself functions as a router. Is there a reason it can’t replace your existing router?

The Nest itself functions as a router. Is there a reason it can’t replace your existing router?

The Nest only routes via Wifi. I also need something to route via ethernet, so I need to use that router as well.

What is the Nest? Is it a router or a WiFi extender or WiFi Access Point? How is the Nest connected to your WAN? Do you have a wired router?

Draw a schematic showing how everything is connected from the ISP box to your router(s).

Wireless Google Wifi is the name of it, for some reason it showed up at some point as a Nest. It’s a wireless router.

Modem → Router (Wired) → Google Wifi Router → ESP32s and 8266s
And the Raspberry Pi is connected to the wired router.

Your problem is almost certainly due to a double-NAT situation in your network (two routers). How you fix it depends on which device you want doing the dhcp handouts and how you want everything to ultimately work. I don’t have enough (any) experience with the Google wifi devices to recommend a proper resolution; I can at least point you to Google’s support article about the issue. Google recommends putting the non-Google device (wired router) into bridge mode, but my personal experience would have led me to putting the Google Wifi (access point) into bridge…I see they list out a number of features you lose by doing that…you’ll have to decide what’s important for you here.

I can however assure you it’s worth your time to figure it out, it (the esp you’re trying to set up) almost certainly won’t be the last issue you have due to the double-nat.

I think the Google WiFi has a single wired LAN port available for use. I would recommend getting rid of your router, using only the Google WiFi, and connecting a switch to the LAN port of the Google WiFi to facilitate wired connections such as your Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

This says little. Model numbers, please.
Your wired router does or does not have WiFi?
Can’t the Nest be set up as a Network Access Point and not a router?

What about changing the netmask on all devices to 255.255.0.0 ?
This should allow devices to communicate across the .1 and .86 sub-nets.

Make the Google mesh router run on the same subnet as your other (wired) router (ie: 192.168.1.x). You are trying to run two separate networks here where one can’t ‘see’ the other. That is the problem.