How to get the ‘Occupancy' value of Phillips hue motion sensor? Through scripting in python

hello,

I tried to find some topic regarding what I am
Asking for, but did not find it. Is it possible to get the value of the ‘Occupancy’ field for Philips hue motion sensor through python scripting?

I followed the documentation for how to get started with python in home assistant and I have managed to do a hello world through logging and even control some lights, but I can’t get any values from the sensor.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

What are you exaclty trying to achieve?

By default the motion detection state is already published when using the integration within Home Assistant with the hue motion sensors.
afbeelding

It will change state when a motion is detected and will remain in that state for some seconds.

The sensor is added, this is a binairy sensor within HA.

1 Like

Hey!

Thank you for providing an answer. I know that I can get this value through home assistant. I have 2 motion sensors downstairs. One is located when you are going down to the basement and the other is at downstairs. This is used to turn on the lights.

I want the lights to turn off when both sensors is not Occupied. In theory This should work when I have an automation and in that I define ```if sensor x && sensor y is not occupied``‘ turn off lights. But this does not work.

So I thought with some python code I could easily make this work. The only thing I struggle with is to get the value of occupancy or what the current state is so that I can assign to a variable in python and do some conditional checks on it.

The sensors are really to detect motion and not occupancy. this something I ran into as well but can overcome it in my situation.
I can see that the sensor state is on detected approximatly 13 seconds
afbeelding

I have setup on the first and second floor.
I achieve some switching based on the light state.

After 11 pm
if motion at first floor, and light second floor = on… turn second floor off.
if motion at second floor and first floor = on, turn light first floor off.

I’ve made a short example maybe for your situation.

I any of the motion sensor changes to not detected, it confirms of the lights are on, and both of the motions are not detecting. Then take action.

alias: Test motion
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.overloop_eerste_motion
    to: "off"
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.overloop_tweede_motion
    to: "off"
condition:
  - condition: device
    type: is_on
    device_id: 33dbb02fb53549bba2b412172fd4a30b
    entity_id: a2f8a7a6e3c96cc24d56409d71520154
    domain: light
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.overloop_eerste_motion
        state: "off"
      - condition: state
        entity_id: binary_sensor.overloop_tweede_motion
        state: "off"
action:
  - type: turn_off
    device_id: 33dbb02fb53549bba2b412172fd4a30b
    entity_id: a2f8a7a6e3c96cc24d56409d71520154
    domain: light
mode: single

I would just put both sensors into a group.