How to handle device tracking?

Before I was using ASUSWRT to track devices. It was used to turn on the cameras etc. when both me and my wife wasn’t home. It also turned off the cameras when home.

Both of us have the official Android app installed on our phones. I have two users setup and I’m the administrator.

The Home and Away states are updated when checking the Configuration/People, and I assume these reports comes from the Android app.

But the question remains. What is the best way of tracking devices? Should I still rely in the IP status of the ASUSWRT integration or just using the status which comes from the Android app, I assume?

In the settings for Configuration/People I can add devices to track, but what is the purpose of this if the Android app reports Home/Away? How to think there? What is the best practice? Each Android app gives me a lot of sensors, including a device tracker.

Example of current device trackers
Integration (Mobile App): device_tracker.pixel_4a
Integration (ASUSWRT): device_tracker.pixel_4a_2

Since using the Android app, should I just remove the ASUSWRT integration and only using the device trackers from the Android app? I’m only using ASUSWRT to track our phones, so I don’t need to other devices of computers etc. How to think here?

I personally track my “person” based on multiple inputs.

The “person” integration is designed to be able to use those multiple trackers to increase reliability of the status of the “person”.

I think if you look in the docs for the “person” integration it explains the priorities given to different trackers based on the sources of the trackers.

As @finity says, the person integration is designed to be able to use multiple “trackers” per person to provide a more accurate estimate as to where the person is. This can help since often individual trackers aren’t all that accurate, or can sometimes take a while to update, etc.

FWIW, at least IMHO, the person integration doesn’t always do a very good job of it. I created a “composite” tracker long before the person integration existed. It addresses some of the shortcomings in the person integration’s algorithms. It’s not necessary perfect either, but I believe it does a better job in general. In any case, if you’re interested, see Composite Device Tracker Platform. You can certainly use it in conjunction with the person integration. I.e., use the mobile app and ASUSWRT trackers with the composite, and then use the composite tracker with the person integration.

Ok so as I understand I can use multiple tracking points, like GPS based via Mobile App or network based via ASUSWRT. It all depends on what accuracy I want?

So in my case I assume the persons integration with only Mobile App would be fine? As I do not care if it’s a 5-10 minutes delay. I tried Mobile App tracking today and it seems fine. I assume I would have much better accuracy if using network based as well but a few minutes delay is fine by me.