How to improve Logging with HA in Docker Container?

Hi all, total newb here. I’m running HA 0.79.1 in a docker container on a Synology NAS. So far it’s been working great, however the amount of application logging is sparse at best. There’s one log file in my configs dir “home-assistant.log” however that only seems to have a few lines of information. No details on logon’s or logoff’s, or other information about how the application is performing. Is it possible to set the logging levels with a docker implementation to be more verbose?

I believe you get the logs from a docker container with the docker logs command.

$ docker logs homeassistant 
2018-10-04 10:54:33 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=homeassistant, service=turn_off>
2018-10-04 10:54:33 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=homeassistant, service=turn_on>
2018-10-04 10:54:33 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=homeassistant, service=toggle>
2018-10-04 10:54:33 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=homeassistant, service=stop>
2018-10-04 10:54:33 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=homeassistant, service=restart>
2018-10-04 10:54:33 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=homeassistant, service=check_config>

Check your configuration.yaml file for the logger entry.

See:

Perfect thanks all! I’m able to locate and analyze the logs on the Docker host, and now I know how to change the logging level as well. Cheers!

1 Like