How To: Inexpensive ($10 US) WiFi RGB Bulb that works with Home Assistant

I was able to switch my scripts to hs_color instead of rgb and everything works like it should.

Thanks! Good to know. I might then need to update some of the documentation then ā€¦ (after I tested it myself)

Hi,

Thanks for replying.
@stelgenhof this is just a test/prof-of-concept (at least for now), so yes I was (wrongly) hopping that the light changed from ā€œRedā€ to ā€œGreenā€ to ā€œBlueā€ just by setting each value to max. After your comment, I now see that to be able to change the color to each component I should set R, G, B parameters accordingly on each line of code. In this case, would it be like:

rgb_color:
  - "{% if color == 'red' %}255,0,0{% else %}0{% endif %}"
  - "{% if color == 'green' %}0,255,0{% else %}0{% endif %}"
  - "{% if color == 'blue' %}0,0,255{% else %}0{% endif  %}"

As a side note, using the code above when I ask for color change the speech is correctly understood by HA (I get a reply like "Changed the light to red "), unfortunately the color does not correspond to the change itself.

@packetinspector can you please share any documentation regarding your method of changing the light color?

Thanks

No problem, instead of something like:

brightness: 50
      entity_id: light.indicators
      white_value: 0
      rgb_color:

I switched to hs color instead:

brightness: 50
  entity_id: light.indicators
  white_value: 0
  hs_color:

Iā€™d like to be able to flash Tasmota/etc onto Tuya devices OTA.

Iā€™ve figured out how to trigger an OTA update with a given .bin file (itā€™s done over a combination of HTTP and MQTT, not UDP in Tuyaā€™s case), but the OTA mechanism rejects a Tasmota .bin file. Iā€™m assuming this isnā€™t due to a signature check and instead because the .bin files arenā€™t compatible, so Iā€™m wondering whether itā€™s possible to build a compatible .bin file.

This looks promising. Iā€™ll give it a try. (Almost feel sorry for purchasing so many Hues)
The only thing that worries me is that each bulb connects directly to the wifi network.

I assume this could have an impact on network performance? Would it be wiser to set up a wifi-based gateway between the bulbs and the ā€œmainā€ network?

By the way, being based on esp, could the bulbs theoretically be configured to work as a mesh network? This could be VERY helpful for large homes.

Transporting a firmware file (using UDP, HTTP, MQTT, etc.) is only one part of the equation. Indeed if the current Tuya firmware expects a binary that meets certain criteria, it will reject any ā€˜foreignā€™ firmwares.

Figuring out what those criteria are might be a tall order. Replacing the current Tuya firmware first with another firmware is often easier.

At my place I have about 10 lights connected on my main Wifi Network and donā€™t experience any performance issues. What would make you think having many WiFi lights will cause any network degradation?

Setting up a separate WiFi network for all your IoT devices is indeed a good solution, if your concern is security related. Depending on your WiFi configuration, performance is not so much an issue. Network traffic from IoT devices is generally much less than for example streaming, downloads, etc.

Theoretically yes, these could be configured as a mesh network. However most firmware implementations are designed these lights to be a simple node only.

Cheers! Sacha

1 Like

And thatā€™s the whole beauty of things. No mesh to fall apart, easy to troubleshoot connectivity issues with a simple command prompt ping, easy to add additional coverage with WiFi APs, etc. Minimal costs and easy troubleshooting all within your control. Love it. The devices arenā€™t that talkative so performance on the network is minimal and most of my ā€œbig talkersā€ on the network are on 5ghz anyways. But it is super simple to add another WiFi AP or two, especially with the Ubiquiti line of APs to add another channel and/or SSID just for the IoT devices.

1 Like

Are there any non-RGB WiFi bulbs that can be flashed with Tasmota (or other HA-compatible open source software)? I have some closets that Iā€™d like to stick some in but I have no need for RGB. Brighter than 60W-equivalent (800 lumens) would be nice too, but Iā€™ll take what I can get.

Are these the same kind?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WiFi-Smart-LED-Bulb-E27-E22-E14-RGB-Light-Voice-Control-For-echo-Alexa-Google/332608079831

Same kind as what?

If you mean ā€œwill it work with AiLight?ā€ then there doesnā€™t seem to be enough information on the ebay page to tell.

There is a page on @stelgenhofā€™s github with a compaibility list if you want to get one known to work.

Or you can buy one of the ones you pointed to and find out for us.

2 Likes

Hey, received the 3d printed you sent me. thanks!

I would like to know if there is a chance that you could post a youtube video showing how to make these work with Homekit? I have a MQTT server running, and I have HAP-Nodejs running on a RPI. I am not SUPER savvy like you are, I have just managed to follow youtube videos to my current setup. There is a need for a simple video showing step by step. Also, I did install ā€œSonoff-Tasmota 5.14.0a by Theo Arendsā€ onto one of the four lights. I have it online and can access the Tasmota webpage, turn it off and on, and change brightness. But this sadly is where I am stuck. thanks in advance, cheers. [email protected]

At the risk of pre-empting Sacha:

1 Like

I donā€™t see a video.

Wow, just wow.

There is no video. There are instructions. Follow them. Then perhaps make a video and post it for us.

Not everything comes with a youtube howto.

Your refund is available at the door.

I asked a question. I like many people are not super tech savvy, and instructional videos can be a great help. I was asking the Sacha for help, and I figured that maybe he would consider helping out with one. May also increase sales for his Jig, who knows. anyways, maybe let the person I posed the question to answer. thanks.

if somehow I offended you, thats on you since I wasnā€™t communicating to you, the message was for Sacha.

ps, Blasting and belittling a new user is not really smart for a growing community, think about it. maybe help, offer guidance, or zip it. just my $0.02

Michael

Guys, keep it nice :wink:

I am happy to do a video, however am a complete noob at that stuff. If you could recommend a good tutorial how to make videos, Iā€™d appreciate that. In addition, Iā€™m in the middle of a construction, so I may not be able to to a video in a while.

@Michael_Illingby In the meantime, I hope the written instructions can help you. In case youā€™re stuck, just send me message.

Cheers! Sacha

Iā€™d be happy to do a quick video on flashing them once I get one. Anyone have some good links lately on where to pick a few up? I dug around on Aliexpress but got lost in the sea of bulbs. US based here but ordering from Aliexpress and such is fine (just slow of course). I donā€™t have one of the jigs you guys are talking about but I believe I could just solder things.

I recently bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182309310094 which internally look like https://www.cnx-software.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/AI-Thinker-Light-Bulb-Board-Large.jpg