How To: Inexpensive ($10 US) WiFi RGB Bulb that works with Home Assistant

@ekim what type of programmer/USB bridge do you use?

Got two shipped in, just reflashed one of them with Espurnaā€¦ had to get used to how that UI operates (didnā€™t save my changes!) but, yah, itā€™s online now :slight_smile: Not too horrible, especially for the cost savings. I have a feeling those Limitlessleds are going to get obsolete real soonā€¦

@quadportnick so how did you do to save the settings? :slight_smile:

Something I wonder, does the bulb sound anything when they are on or off, humming or buzzing?

I had purchased a TTL-232R-3V3 a long time ago, but I donā€™t think you need to go out and spend a lot of money to get similar functionality. Any programmer that programs at 3.3v signal levels should be fine.

With Espurna, you can save your settings by hitting the blue Update button, in the left column, shown below.

Also, I havenā€™t noticed any sound while the bulb is on, or off.

1 Like

Thanks, looks good!

Yeah update didnā€™t make me think save, and on the phone the sidebar is collapsed, so that was weird. But not like Iā€™m going to use this UI much :slight_smile:

I donā€™t have any ā€œArduino IDE -> Tools -> ESP8266 Sketch Data Uploadā€ as you describe and that is shown in your "screenshot of ā€˜Toolā€™

Hereā€™s how mine looks like

What am I doing wrong? I have followed the link how to set up Arduino.
My Arduino IDE is version 1.6.11

Personally I have stopped using the Arduino IDE. Using PlatformIO now, which I feel is more flexible and not just limited to Arduino/Atmel MCUā€™s. Espurna works primarily with PlatformIO. I can definitely recommend to have a look at it. Maybe not immediately user friendly or intuitiveā€¦ :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @quadportnick
When you say ā€œnot too horribleā€, can you elaborate a little please?
Do you have any frame of reference for comparison - e.g. vs Hue for color, vs Hue for colour temp etc.
What is good, what is not? (brightness, colour rendering etc)
I know from experience that its can be difficult to get a decent warm white if you have RGB+Cold W LEDs etc.

But I canā€™t even get Arduino IDE to work with the guide how should I get PlattformIO to work without a guide? :wink:

Personally, I just uploaded the espuna binary image and didnā€™t even touch PIO. If you arenā€™t going to modify the source, or are concerned about the binary, then there no reason to go through all that stuff. Serial port, esptool or a fancy flashing GUI, and go.

I just meant setting it up. Iā€™m clueless when it comes to peopleā€™s concerns about hues and colors. I think I want it orange and I can do so. Color temperature is Greek to me :confused:

1 Like

@DariBer Good point! Sorry, I forgot that the ESP8266FS tool is not shown in the Espurna Arduino directions. Iā€™ve updated the How To: guide accordingly.

To install the ESP8266FS tool follow these steps:

• Download the tool here.
  • Unzip esp8266fs.jar into: /Arduino/tools/ESP8266FS/tool/ (you may need to create it first).
  • You should end up with this directory structure: /Arduino/tools/ESP8266FS/tool/esp8266fs.jar
  • Restart the Arduino IDE, upon reopening you should see ESP8266 Sketch Data Upload in the Tools menu.
1 Like

I just flashed mine with ESPurna this morning and it works like a charm. Well, after a few tries. I think I wasnā€™t waiting for the write to flash to complete and it was causing the esp to panic and reset.

I bought this model from Amazon for $17.99.

Also, I agree, PlatformIO is the way to go. I do all my programming using a cheap Chromebook.

1 Like

I just flashed 1 of my to ā€œtestā€ bulbs. after some help from people here I got it to work. Next thing is to get it to work with Hass.

a special thank to @ekim and @stelgenhof for their help

@benaranguren Excellent! Iā€™m happy to hear you got it working! :slight_smile:

Glad you were successful! Iā€™ll have to give PlatformIO a try too!

So this HASS MQTT config works fine for you for colors? In my case, the colors are all completely mapped up wrong. It works fine from the WebUI on the bulb itself, so something isnā€™t lining up quite rightā€¦ hmmā€¦

EDIT: Yeah, HASS is publishing like 229,255,146 and the bulb publishes hex #8eff54

Hmmm, thatā€™s a problem. It may be related to using the Espuna binary image, instead of compiling the code version I mentioned. The code continues to change, so Iā€™m not sure which version you ended up getting with the binary.

Sometime soon, I hope to request, or implement, some additional Espurna features, which would allow additional Brightness, Temperature and White control. I was able to get the White LEDs working by sending brightness MQTT information to the current version, but I think the MQTT Arduino code needs to be modified to better suit the MQTT Light device.