How to install an add-on as a container?

I’ve installed Home Assistant as a container on a Raspberry Pi 3, so no add ons. The Pi or its sd card could die at any time, so I want automated back ups. I hear this is the way to go.

How can I install it, and configure it to talk to my HA installation?

Edit: I want to keep my HA install as a container, because I have other things running on the Pi. Figuring out a supervised install seems more complicated than just running a docker command to instal the add-on along side HA, no?

First you need HaOS or supervised type of install for HA because only they support add-ons like explained in the docs.

After that it’s just a few clicks.

Thanks but I’m asking specifically what docker command I use to install the add-on separately, and keep my HA install as a container. I have other things running on the host and don’t want HaOS taking it over.

It’s not that simple. Add-ons are managed by Supervisor, it’s a requirement. Which means either running HAOS or a Supervised install.

from Home Assistant Add-ons - Home Assistant

There’s no such command.

Addons are docker containers but they are specially designed to work with Supervisor.

Many addons are based on applications that are already available as ordinary docker containers that are not specifically designed for use with Home Assistant. For example, Mosquitto MQTT Broker is available as a docker container (that can be used with Home Assistant Container edition). It’s also used in the MQTT Broker Add-on (which only works with Home Assistant OS and Home Assistant Supervised editions).

The add-on in the link you posted doesn’t appear to be available as a plain vanilla docker container.

Ah, thank you very much!

There are no addons with a docker install but the functionality of the containers is available via other docker installs. Depending on what you think you need it is likely that container exists and can be run separately. For reference I have Esphome, openwakeword, piper, whisper, mqtt. Frigate, and HA all running as containers. Not on an RPi though.

…welcome!

If you just want to backup automatically there are other options out there that5 can be installed via regular docker containers.

Two off the top of my head are Syncthing and Duplicati.