How to install hacs?

I want to install hacs according to the manual:
https://hacs.xyz/docs/configuration/basic

No HACS in my homeassistant!

How can do then?

assuming you installed it you need to click on the add integration button and search that list for HACS. Where you typed HACS it’s searching your list of added integrations but you have not added it yet
Click on that

after install hacs via terminal or custom_components be sure to restart HA first and then go for integrations

No hacs at all !

Did you download and extract the HACS zip file and restart Home Assistant? Is there a HACS folder in /config/custom_components ?

the instructions says: it is important to clear cache for the integration to show up …

I have downloaded the hacs zip and extract it ,copy into config/custom_components,clean cache in browser.

debian@debian:~$  ls   .homeassistant
automations.yaml  config              deps         home-assistant.log    panels       scripts.yaml  tts
blueprints        configuration.yaml  groups.yaml  home-assistant_v2.db  scenes.yaml  secrets.yaml  www
debian@debian:~$ ls   .homeassistant/config/custom_components
hacs
debian@debian:~$ ls   .homeassistant/config/custom_components/hacs
api      config_flow.py  enums.py  helpers     __init__.py    models       repositories  share.py          translations  webresponses
base.py  const.py        hacsbase  iconset.js  manifest.json  operational  sensor.py     system_health.py  validate

Restart hass.
It is as same as before.

Please use command:
ls -l .homeassistant/config/custom_components/hacs
and show the output.

(the -l ( lowercase L) option tells ls to print files in a long listing format which makes it easier to read and additionally it also shows the ownership, permissions etc. of the subdirectories and files.)

ls -l .homeassistant/config/custom_components/hacs
total 88
drwxr-xr-x 2 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 api
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 4122 Jun 21 05:14 base.py
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 5941 Jun 21 05:14 config_flow.py
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 4126 Jun 21 05:14 const.py
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 1099 Jun 21 05:14 enums.py
drwxr-xr-x 2 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 hacsbase
drwxr-xr-x 6 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 helpers
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 3506 Jun 21 05:14 iconset.js
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 1015 Jun 21 05:14 init.py
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 665 Jun 21 05:14 manifest.json
drwxr-xr-x 2 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 models
drwxr-xr-x 3 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 operational
drwxr-xr-x 2 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 repositories
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 3444 Jun 21 05:14 sensor.py
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 1543 Jun 21 05:14 share.py
-rw-r–r-- 1 debian debian 1218 Jun 21 05:14 system_health.py
drwxr-xr-x 2 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 translations
drwxr-xr-x 4 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 validate
drwxr-xr-x 2 debian debian 4096 Jul 10 20:37 webresponses

What install method is your HA instance based on? HassOS, Home Assistant Container, Home Assistant Supervised or Home Assistant Core? What is the underlying hardware, RPI, NUC or maybe openWRT on a modem/router??

sudo python3 -m pip install homeassistant

I install it on my pc.

And you did exactly follow:

1. Go to the Supervisor panel
  2. Install one of the SSH add-ons (you need to enable advanced mode in your user profile to see them)
  3. Configure the SSH add-on you chose by following the documentation for it
  4. Start the SSH add-on
  5. Connect to the SSH add-on
  6. Run the HACS install script
wget -q -O - https://install.hacs.xyz | bash -

?

2 Likes

That is a HA Core (venv) installation. There is no Supervisor panel.

Wondering about the file/directory ownerships of ./homeassistant and below (debian.debian) suspecting that this is the issue the op faces.

That is what I’m thinking too. In a venv installation, HA is normally run as user homeassistant. I think the files do not have the correct permissions.

Exactly :+1:t4:

Did you follow this before you initiated the above command? Have you added an account for Home Assistant Core called ‘homeassistant’ before running above command?

If you did sudo before python3 -m pip install homeassistant is not correct since that command will run the installation as the (sudoed) user you were logged in into the system but not as user “homeassistant:homeassistant” which is needed for correct installation.

I am running into a similar problem. HACS appears under Integrations, but no integrations from HACS will be installed. In HACS the seem to be installed, but nothing is added to the custom_components folder.

My installation is done on Synology inside a Docker container. I do not remember having/create to select an account before using the container.

How can I verify my setup is correct for use with HACS?

Thnks!