How to install Hass.io into QNAP Virtualisation Station

Hi,

Good you got it working!

It was same with me. I noticed from my router that Qnap virtual switch has gotten it’s own IP and HA opened from there.

In virtualisation station select your vm, click on setting, boot options and select UEFI in firmware type

excuse me…I correctly install it…but when i try to log in with homeassistant homeassistant give me login incorrect… are you sure is it the login or i’m wrong? thank you

Nick3 can you tell me user and pass of this image?
homeassistant doesn’t work

I did installed the OVA image downloaded from:

The VM boots and I get access to the console. With netstat I can also see that port 8123 is listening for connections. However, I cannot reach HA via broweser.

I believe is an issue with my Network Switch configuration.
The VM is connected to the Virtual Switch 3, which in my case is directly connected to the physical adapter and gets its IP from the network DHCP server.

Should not the VM be connected behind a NAT and gets only port 8123 exported to the NAS IP?
I find this QNAP Virtual Switch thingy quite confusing :confused:

@derkling -

Could you check what the IP is from your router / your DHCP server? I suppose the IP of the VM would be different from the IP of your QNAP box.

Alternatively,

• go to Virtualization Station 3, find your HassOS VM, open a console from there,
  • login using the default password (link)
    EDIT: Not needed these days (Aug 2021). Opening a console will get you directly to the ha > prompt… no need for any default password… maybe since HAOS 6.0
  • and do login to go into the prompt for the host OS
  • and then do nmcli

What’s the IP you see?

Edit: to be clear, the IP you see on Virtual Switch 3 is not the IP of your HassOS VM.

1 Like

Did you enable Virtio-serial for the VM? This way you should see the correct IP in the Station.

Hi,
Can anybody upload *.ovh, *ova image ?

Unless something has changed recently, I’m pretty sure the ova from the official github would work just fine.

… and someone has confirmed ova would work:

(Looks like the install guide above has got some nice updates / rewrites since July 2020. Check the HAOS section under the “alternative” route)

… and here’s the guy who said he got things up and running w/in minutes (or was it seconds?):

= = = =
Yes there’s also docker container install option via QNAP Container Station. But assuming your QNAP could do VM, I’d recommend we just do Home Assistant OS via QNAP Virtualization Station 3 using the ova image.

1 Like

HI,
Looks like .OVA is correct I was able to install HA OS for 2 minutes. Now I just have to find the SSH password so I can set up my local IP

@julkohome Glad that ova worked for you.

Are you trying to set static IP for the HAOS? Use search, and you’d find this among others. To do that you don’t even need SSH password:

Or no search, even - 4 posts above you would see how one could get into HAOS w/o SSH, which is not included/disabled by default.

1 Like

Thanks @k8gg.
I managed to set static IP through HAOS.

Does anyone have points for how to map a QNAP NAS media folder to the HA media/ folder when HA is installed in an ova VM on the QNAP NAS?

This works for me. Just change the IP, username, password and of course the folder on the nas.

shell_command:
  mount: mount -t cifs -o username=admin,password=password,domain=WORKGROUP //192.168.3.9/NAS/Downloads /mnt/media

Thanks @miroslavpetrov for taking the time to respond. I will give it try next weekend when I have some time.

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Been wanting to get HAOS off my PC and onto my NAS, surprised it was this easy. I wonder why this option isn’t described in the HA install documentation.

In case anybody comes here confused, follow the directions exactly but at the end before you start the VM, go into the VM settings > boot options and change ‘firmware type’ to UEFI. Even if you check EFI in VirtualBox before exporting, it will not work until you set it for the VM. I saw several people say they were hung on ‘booting from hard disk’ and this is why that happens.

I recently moved from my Pi to my Qnap nas, but was surprised to see that it says I’m running an "Unsupported version"and that I need an OS agent. I don’t see how I can install an OS agent when I’m directly running Hass.io on the VM

Anyone have any tips?

Go to ConfigurationSettingsInfo… could you share what you have under System Health?

For me, I got this when I was running portainer as one of my add-on, and I used Portainer to manage a docker under HAOS. That practice however is not OK these days, so I’m told. Quoting this:

so I had to move that docker out of HAOS to somewhere else, and then clean its footprint from HAOS using Portainer, and then remove the portainer add-on.

I don’t think any of my add-ons run in a specific docker add-on. Below is a screenshot and a copy of my entire system health.

## System Health

version | core-2021.12.0
-- | --
installation_type | Home Assistant OS
dev | false
hassio | true
docker | true
user | root
virtualenv | false
python_version | 3.9.7
os_name | Linux
os_version | 5.4.109
arch | x86_64
timezone | America/Chicago

<details><summary>Home Assistant Community Store</summary>

GitHub API | ok
-- | --
Github API Calls Remaining | 4951
Installed Version | 1.12.3
Stage | running
Available Repositories | 966
Installed Repositories | 7

</details>

<details><summary>Home Assistant Cloud</summary>

logged_in | false
-- | --
can_reach_cert_server | ok
can_reach_cloud_auth | ok
can_reach_cloud | ok

</details>

<details><summary>Home Assistant Supervisor</summary>

host_os | Home Assistant OS 5.13
-- | --
update_channel | stable
supervisor_version | supervisor-2021.12.2
docker_version | 19.03.15
disk_total | 30.8 GB
disk_used | 4.8 GB
healthy | true
supported | failed to load: Unsupported
board | ova
supervisor_api | ok
version_api | ok
installed_addons | Z-Wave JS (0.1.52), OpenZWave (0.9.1), Duck DNS (1.12.5), Let's Encrypt (4.11.0), File editor (5.2.0), Samba share (9.3.1), Terminal & SSH (9.1.0), Home Assistant Google Drive Backup (0.103.1), Node-RED (10.0.1), Mosquitto broker (6.0.1)

</details>

<details><summary>Lovelace</summary>

dashboards | 3
-- | --
resources | 1
views | 4
mode | storage

</details>

I have also HA in Qnap Virtualization station. Im running Deconz (Conbee2). How do you access those files from Qnap that are inside running VM? I need to donwload/edit DDF files for Deconz…